Valvoline premium synthetic

/ Valvoline premium synthetic
Any advantage to extra zinc in the T6 as Gale referred to??
Thanks
Dave

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #12  
Thanks
Dave
Well T6 as with all CJ-4 will have the same amounts of ZDDP arcross the board within brands and some times little less vs. CI-4,in other words all CJ-4 HDEO will have "about" the same additive package, your cheaper line oil's that i've seen in UOA's will have slightly lower thats why i always recommend a name brand(above posts).

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #13  
Thanks
Dave

Dave zinc is important to the old flat tappets (pre roller days) like in our 429 and 454 big blocks to protect from wear is my understanding.

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, 06 Mazdaspeed6, 3000miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy
A current Black Stone test values I found.

I have read zinc levels need to be 1200+ for flat tappets and this lab test is showing 1700+ so I am thinking Rotella T6 is good. We use it in 3.5 HP gas to 60 HP diesel tractors too. If I can oil in an engine it now gets T6.

Good info, might as well stay with the T6 as it seems there is no advantage to switching,
Dave

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #15  
So do you guys keep your oil change intervals the same with synthetic as you would with regular oil, or do you extend it a little? And if so by how much?

I personally keep my intervals the same. Tractor get oil change once a season usually at the end and I put about 100 hour per year on it. My manual says every 300 hours is ok, but I think changing the oil is cheap insurance for keeping the engine in good shape. I mainly use synthetic because of the 5-40 weight. I believe that it helps with cold weather starting (maybe a false sense of security but it helps me sleep better at night):thumbsup:
Dave

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #17  
So do you guys keep your oil change intervals the same with synthetic as you would with regular oil, or do you extend it a little? And if so by how much?
With synthetics yes you can extend your OCI, BUT to be safe and to "know" 100% for sure how long you could go one should get an oil analysis done to see where wear metals/soot and acid fighting TBN stand.

todays diesel tractors are capable of 500 hrs or more with a quality oil,i've seen it many times.

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #18  
I use valvoline extreme blue 5w40 in my fird diesel truck. Its a very expensive fully synthetic diesel motor oil. I can tell you that it make my truck start up 10x easier than with conventional motor oil I used prior. I would not hesitiate to switch over to it. I love this stuff.

The stuff usually costs around 30 dollars a gallon. Napa has it on sale right now for 19.99. I just bought 12 gallons of this stuff because I believe in it that much. Next oil change in my tractor I may switch over. I dont think I use my tractor enough to justify it yet. 2008 tractor with only 120 hours.

/ Valvoline premium synthetic #19  
I'm using it in my f450 with 7.3 PSD since I make multi-thousand mile round trips to fetch tractors. Not uncommon to make a 40 hr red eye drive with a spare driver... on some smaller trips 10-20 hrs .. truck never even got shut down depends on the places we got fuel.. etc.

soundguy

How about oil filters? What are everyone's Preferences? Oem, wix, Baldwin, other??