Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
Hi,

I noticed my FEL was quite slow, and made a whining noise , when I plowed snow this past week. Does anyone know the cost of the F200 oil mentioned in an earlier post? Also does this whining, and slow movement harm the hydraulics, if I don't replace the oil? I'd much rather replace it, when I have the tractor serviced this spring. Thanks in advance.

Kent

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather #2  
Kent,

I looked in my manual, but new holland didn't specify what temps the F200 is recommended for vs the 134.

I've got a gallon of 134 at home, I'll see if it has temp specs.

I did a search here and one guy paid $36 per gallon for the F200 vs $29 per gallon for the NH134

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=nhown&Number=33644&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Hydro fluid in cold weather</A>

You won't do any damage, as long as you are operating within the recommended temps. If it is colder, switch to the F200, otherwise for the $$$ I'd wait untill a trans oil change was scheduled.

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather #3  
Kent,

Checked my gallon of 134 oil. It didn't specify an ambient operating temp range. FWIW It did say it was equivalent viscosity to a SAE 10W30 oil.

Maybe a call to your dealer is in order. Of course he'll want to sell you the oil/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather
Thanks Hazmat,

I'm grateful for the posts. I'll call my dealer ASAP. How's the tractor working? I know I had a great time plowing snow. I used the FEL, and the R4's worked great. Fun 2-2 1/2 hours working on 3 driveways. Thanks again.

Kent

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather #5  
Tractor is running well. I've plowed the drive 3-4 times so far! Also shuttled some firewood from out back to the deck. The R4's didn't grip so well once the snow had started to melt & became really slick. Hmmm, maybe chains are in order? So far no problems on the gravel driveway, only the grass.

I'm rigging a front plow now. It has been a pain to fabricate, mostly because I don't have the right tools. Drilling steel with a handheld drill really takes a toll on the body. And most here would consider me a young man!

/ Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather
Hang in there, I've broken up my now 40 year old body for lesser things. As far as the r4's, I was very impressed. Now remember one thing, I drive truck for a living. I know that you can not hope for much on ice. Ice is the X factor in every traction problem. Chains aren't going to even help unless you have a soft ice (melting on top). I think , people don't like to admit the weak points in a tractor. I'm way passed that point. R-4 service me well, and they do spin from time to time, but if I had Turf tires on my TC21, I'd be in worse shape. Limitations are the important thing here. I own a Wheelhorse 16hp garden tractor that I know has the power to push a pile of dirt or stone around, but the weight of the tractor does not allow it to push, but it does spin. Just my $02 , and I know everyone has an opinion. Good Luck with the plow.

Kent