Tractor
    New Holland TC21D

Default Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather

Hi,

I noticed my FEL was quite slow, and made a whining noise , when I plowed snow this past week. Does anyone know the cost of the F200 oil mentioned in an earlier post? Also does this whining, and slow movement harm the hydraulics, if I don't replace the oil? I'd much rather replace it, when I have the tractor serviced this spring. Thanks in advance.

Kent

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Default Re: Replacing Hydraulic oil with F200 for cold weather

Kent,

I looked in my manual, but new holland didn't specify what temps the F200 is recommended for vs the 134.

I've got a gallon of 134 at home, I'll see if it has temp specs.

I did a search here and one guy paid $36 per gallon for the F200 vs $29 per gallon for the NH134

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=nhown&amp;Number=33644& amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1>Hydro fluid in cold weather</A>

You won't do any damage, as long as you are operating within the recommended temps. If it is colder, switch to the F200, otherwise for the $$$ I'd wait untill a trans oil change was scheduled.

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Kent,

Checked my gallon of 134 oil. It didn't specify an ambient operating temp range. FWIW It did say it was equivalent viscosity to a SAE 10W30 oil.

Maybe a call to your dealer is in order. Of course he'll want to sell you the oil[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    New Holland TC21D

Thanks Hazmat,

I'm grateful for the posts. I'll call my dealer ASAP. How's the tractor working? I know I had a great time plowing snow. I used the FEL, and the R4's worked great. Fun 2-2 1/2 hours working on 3 driveways. Thanks again.

Kent

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

Tractor is running well. I've plowed the drive 3-4 times so far! Also shuttled some firewood from out back to the deck. The R4's didn't grip so well once the snow had started to melt &amp; became really slick. Hmmm, maybe chains are in order? So far no problems on the gravel driveway, only the grass.

I'm rigging a front plow now. It has been a pain to fabricate, mostly because I don't have the right tools. Drilling steel with a handheld drill really takes a toll on the body. And most here would consider me a young man!

Tractor
    New Holland TC21D

Hang in there, I've broken up my now 40 year old body for lesser things. As far as the r4's, I was very impressed. Now remember one thing, I drive truck for a living. I know that you can not hope for much on ice. Ice is the X factor in every traction problem. Chains aren't going to even help unless you have a soft ice (melting on top). I think , people don't like to admit the weak points in a tractor. I'm way passed that point. R-4 service me well, and they do spin from time to time, but if I had Turf tires on my TC21, I'd be in worse shape. Limitations are the important thing here. I own a Wheelhorse 16hp garden tractor that I know has the power to push a pile of dirt or stone around, but the weight of the tractor does not allow it to push, but it does spin. Just my $02 , and I know everyone has an opinion. Good Luck with the plow.

Kent