303 oil from TSC

/ 303 oil from TSC #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
anyone got the scoop on the 303 oil ( accell maybee? ) TSC sells. it's about 25$ fro a 5g pail, with the regular traveler utf at 35$ for a 5g pail, and aw32/47 at about 42$ per 5g pail.

i read the 303 and it says it is a utf type oil, meeting most old tractor specs ( curiously lists none of them ).. and only meeting some new tractor specs, though as a general 'hydraulic oil' it will work fine.

I avoided it for utf uses, since I like to see a ford M2C134D spec.. however for a single sump loader application, I've decided to try it.. it is way ceheape rthan plain aw32, and if it has some utf properties.. sounds like it is actually a better oil than aw32.

without listing any specs.. I think it's safe to say it's not applicable for wet brakes or wet clutches.. and newer specs.. etc..

any comments?

soundguy

/ 303 oil from TSC #2  
I'll use a quote:

What jobbers are specifically referring
to is product in the market labeled as
meeting John Deere JD-303, JDM-20A,
ョ and Quatrol . They say these specifications
are obsolete. Moreover, they note that even
if a farmer is comfortable using an obsolete
product because he has an old or leaking
tractor, the quality of these products is
highly suspect because it is not being
monitored.

The JD-303 specification was dropped
in the 1970s because it was based on sperm
oil, and sperm oil can no longer be legally
used as a lubricant. And the JDM-20A
specification has been 電efunct since the
early 1990s it was superceded by JDM-
20C.

The longer article from 2004 at http://www.pqiamerica.com/THFReprint.pdf

/ 303 oil from TSC #3  
anyone got the scoop on the 303 oil ( accell maybee? ) TSC sells. it's about 25$ fro a 5g pail, with the regular traveler utf at 35$ for a 5g pail, and aw32/47 at about 42$ per 5g pail.

i read the 303 and it says it is a utf type oil, meeting most old tractor specs ( curiously lists none of them ).. and only meeting some new tractor specs, though as a general 'hydraulic oil' it will work fine.

I avoided it for utf uses, since I like to see a ford M2C134D spec.. however for a single sump loader application, I've decided to try it.. it is way ceheape rthan plain aw32, and if it has some utf properties.. sounds like it is actually a better oil than aw32.

without listing any specs.. I think it's safe to say it's not applicable for wet brakes or wet clutches.. and newer specs.. etc..

any comments?

soundguy

The 303 is what was factory recommended for the older John Deeres I ran on the farm. Wet brakes, clutches and all. It has a distinctive odor that helps the operator notice a leak quicker than regular hyd oil. Ken Sweet

/ 303 oil from TSC
i'm familiar with the old 303 as I have jd's and yanmar.. but as pointed out before.. the old 303 oil seems to no longer be able to be made.. so I was asking if anyone knew what this new 'version' of the 303 oil may be?

it does not list ANY specs.. not even a jd spec... while i'm sure it's fine as a hyd oil.. it leaves you to wonder what equipment you -could- put it in as a utf.. since it lists no specs at all on the jug??

soundguy

/ 303 oil from TSC #5  
Call the maker on the jug. I called them when I had a question about the Travelers UTF and UTF renew. (Only Difference is a seal sweller). The guy that I talked to was really nice and pleasure to talk to. I asked if the agco oil is better then their stuff. He said , Sure, It smells better cause we make that too and add a fragrance. They also make the wally world oil. (No it's not recycled oil) and it's packaged in the USA.

/ 303 oil from TSC
warren if I recall correctly right?

soundguy

/ 303 oil from TSC #7  
warren if I recall correctly right?

soundguy

Yeah, warren, who is also coastal.

I called and they said it's was ok to use in my tractor but it's caused brake chatter in my JD 4455. I went back to JD Hy-guard and it went away.

I was hoping it would work at $25 for 5 gal. I'll have to look somewhere else to save some $$$$. It was worth the try.:thumbsup:

/ 303 oil from TSC
oh wow.. I didn't know they did coastal too!

I got some coastal oils from a carquest a few months ago.. on sale.. 1g jugs of utf, and 80w90 and 85/140 gear oils for 9$ each. I loaded up.. got like 3g of each PLUS what I needed for the tractor I was working on..

soundguy

/ 303 oil from TSC #9  
oh wow.. I didn't know they did coastal too!

I got some coastal oils from a carquest a few months ago.. on sale.. 1g jugs of utf, and 80w90 and 85/140 gear oils for 9$ each. I loaded up.. got like 3g of each PLUS what I needed for the tractor I was working on..

soundguy

Thats the way to stock up. I'm always looking for sell.:laughing:

/ 303 oil from TSC
yep.. I got the gear oil.. the utf i could already get cheaper.. but 9$ per gallon gear oil was quite a savings. got oh.. 6gallons for my rowcrop ford I was working on, plus a few more for the next project. that next project just came along and I got enough oil to do it without buying any for the work itself.. though am stocking back up to keep some on the shelf as needed.. etc.

soundguy