Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #1  

ziptiekid

Tractor
1984 Ford 1700 4x4 and 1944 Farmall super H
My dad and I just bought a 1984 Ford 1700. It has the 2 cylinder diesel and today when we had been using it for about 30 minutes I saw that it was getting hot. We let it cool down and then checked the antifreeze level and it was about a 1/2 gallon low, so, I topped it off and put the cap back on and tried to start it. It was cool today so it didn't start right away. When I quit cranking I heard water running on the ground. It was coming out of the radiator cap. The water was still cool and there was alot of pressure on the uper radiator hose. I looked down at the overflow tube and someone had plugged it with a bolt and clamp. I cut it off and then it dripped out after it was started. I need some suggestions on how to fix this...start with the cheapest fix first please. My dad and I are new to diesel motors but, we are leaning towards a bad radiator cap, thermostat, or head gasket. Right now I REALLY hope that someone did't sell us a cracked block or head gasket issue! I would appreciate any help.....Thx...P.S. There is no oil the the water or water in the oil. And the cap says either 09 or 60 not sure of which way is up on cap..LOL

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #2  
at this point i'd fill full of water and look into rad with cap off and turn over.

ps.. she shoulda started even in coldish weather if she had been previously warm.. er.. hot even.

low compression from a bad HG could cause both issues.

if you get bubblink in the radiator when running or cranking.. that's where I'd start. otherwise a compression test would be next...

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator
Thanks soundguy....I will try that....thanks for your quick reply

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #4  
could be blown HG..

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #5  
The 1700 was also known for cracked heads. I would have a serious talk with the person you purchaced it from. There is a serious problem that they knew about and hid it by plugging the over flow tube.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #6  
I suspect the thermostat is not opening. To test...remove the thermostat and place it in a pot of boiling water. If its does not open in the boiling water, its not working and needs to be replaced.

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #7  
Another thing you can do is check for water droplets on the oil dipstick. If you see droplets its a good indicator of a blown head gasket or cracked block.

ok...thx guys I will check this out and let ya know what I find out.

/ Ford 1700 overheating and building pressure in radiator #9  
My dad and I just bought a 1984 Ford 1700. It has the 2 cylinder diesel and today when we had been using it for about 30 minutes I saw that it was getting hot. We let it cool down and then checked the antifreeze level and it was about a 1/2 gallon low, so, I topped it off and put the cap back on and tried to start it. It was cool today so it didn't start right away. When I quit cranking I heard water running on the ground. It was coming out of the radiator cap. The water was still cool and there was alot of pressure on the uper radiator hose. I looked down at the overflow tube and someone had plugged it with a bolt and clamp. I cut it off and then it dripped out after it was started. I need some suggestions on how to fix this...start with the cheapest fix first please. My dad and I are new to diesel motors but, we are leaning towards a bad radiator cap, thermostat, or head gasket. Right now I REALLY hope that someone did't sell us a cracked block or head gasket issue! I would appreciate any help.....Thx...P.S. There is no oil the the water or water in the oil. And the cap says either 09 or 60 not sure of which way is up on cap..LOL

Make sure that you haven't over filled the radiator because there needs to be some room for coolant expansion. Usually 1/4" above the core is adequate. Of course it it has an over flow tank then make sure it's at the proper level.
Next, make sure that the thermostat is openning fully. Remove the radiator cap, make sure that the radiator has coolant over the core and then start it. Just let it run 200-300 rpm above idle to warm up. Watch to see if the you have flow from the upper radiator hose going into the top of the radiator. If you do then the thermostat is at least opening. When the engine comes to operating temperature you should see a lot of coolant rushing into the radiator. While you're doing that, look for a continuous stream of bubbles in the coolant. Bubbles are a sign that the head gasket maybe leaking. Check the radiator cap to make sure it's the correct pressure rating for the cooling system. You'll need an owners manual to tell you the cooling system pressure.

These are the usual cooling system problems areas so check them out and report back. I think you might have a a bad thermostat and the wrong cap (becaue of the bolt and clamp set up).

Thanks for all of your help...I don't have a day off til Tuesday, so it will take me awhile to get back and post, but, I will come back and post my findings.....thx again