Oil Pan Drain Plug

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #1  

edbrame

Tractor
Farmall Super A
I want to change oil in my Farmall Super A and I'm having trouble removing the drain plug. I want to be sure it has the threads that need to be turned counter clockwise to loosen because I have used considerable force in this direction without luck. Any ideas?
The pan has 2 drain cocks on the side at different levels. I assume this is where you check the oil level but why 2?
Recommended oil type? How much does it hold with or without filter change?

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #3  
The direction is CCW. I'd imagine yours is like thousands others, someone grabbed and adjustable wrench, instead of the proper sized wrench, or socket, and rounded the plug off some. Mine was the same way, until I dressed it up with a file, I use a 6 pt. socket on mine. If memory serves me right, it's 1 1/8". The factory plugs had a pretty thin head on them.

When full, you should get a dribble out of the highest petcock. The second one will let you know if you are more than a quart low, if you don't get a drip out of it.

5 qts with filter... I never change oil, unless I change the filter too.. Personal prefernce..

I use straight 30 wt., although Dad used 10w/30 in his for years...

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug #4  
sometimes you have to weld a big hex nut to a damaged old tractor drain plug.. then you can put a proper wrench on them...

soundguy

/ Oil Pan Drain Plug
Thank you very much. You have been most helpful.