2 stroke oil in Diesel?

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #1  

tomd999

Platinum Member
Tractor
'10 3320 cab
Hi,

About a year ago I read numerious postings on Dodge/Cummins Diesel forums that people had found mixing in Wally World 2 stroke oil at about a 200-1 ratio had noticed a slight increase in the number of miles per tank and a bit more "seat of the pants" torque and power.

I figured it couldn't hurt my 300+K Dodge so I gave it a try. Since new, this truck has gotten 450 miles per tank when I drive it reasonable and not loaded to the max and the first tank with the 2 stroke mix, it got 475 miles, the 2ed tank it went to 480 and the third it topped 500 miles per tank. It's been between 480-500 miles per tank for the last year as long as I mix it at about 175-1 ratio. If I stop using the mix, it will gradually fall back to it's historical miles per tank of 450.

At the same time the truck was getting more miles per tank, I noticed it felt like it has quicker spoolup and thus a little more grunt down low and it has more of the Diesel rattle like it had when the sulfur was in the fuel.

If I mix it richer than 150-1, I lose all the benifits and it smokes going down the road like a good little 2 stroke...

It's not all upside however, the mix does make it a little rougher when it's cold.

OK, now my question, Why does adding 2 stroke oil get me added miles per tank and a little extra power??

Tom

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #2  
One thing for sure is that it is not the added BTUs. Maybe the effect of top lubing the cylinders and rings?

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #3  
Have you thought of a blind test where you allow a friend in the garage alone with the truck for 15 minutes with you far away, and they either add the proper amount of oil or not?

I remember reading where people using gas saving devices would drive differently when they knew they had them!

Mike

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #4  
Good point. Only a dino test could tell if there is any substance to mixing oil into the fuel. Come to think of it, Marvel Mystery oil did the same thing. So dose Ken's ranch dressing with extra garlic. Chili sauce?

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #5  
The oil adds lubricity to the ULSD and is the reason it is used (what I've heard). Added mpg is interesting, though.

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #6  
I used Marvel mystery oil for years believing it lubed the fuel inj pump. I never did have a inj pump failure.I had tried the 2 stroke oil, but only one tank, did not notice much difference, but that oil has anti-scuff in it, possible it changes the friction in the cylinders? Air cooled and water cooled oil for a boat motor used to be different formulas?

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #7  
I put a pint of the wally world 2 cycle oil in my Ford F250 6.0 about every other fill-up, which is not too often these days with the price of fuel:smiley_aafz:, I try to leave it parked unless I need it!

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #8  
As a diesel fuel lubricant additive, MMM sucks the big one. 2 cycle oil does work but it's not the best. Check it out here..http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

The BTU value of 2 cycle oil is 138,000 BTU/gallon and diesel fuel can vary from 126,000 to 133,000 BTU/gallon. For the small percentage that you add to a tank (200:1 ratio), the extra energy in it isn't going to make a noticeable improvement in mileage...other factors will easily outweigh it.

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #9  
This all sparked my interest so I poked around some. Upper cylinder liberation may have made sense in the early days of engines. Now with better designs, materials and oils there is no advantage. As a mater of fact, the extra hydrocarbons may not be doing your cat converter any good by working it harder. So go easy on the additives to lube the injector pump, more is not always better.

/ 2 stroke oil in Diesel? #10  
OK, now my question, Why does adding 2 stroke oil get me added miles per tank and a little extra power??

Rings seal better. I used to mix a 4oz bottle of cheapo stinkwheels oil into every tank when I had an old Toyota Corolla (~300:1). The car appeared to get better mileage with it, and it seemed to run better and have more poop, but I never did a qualitative experiment.

JayC