Cleaning a fuel tank

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #1  

Rob327

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I'm looking clean out and fix up a 400 gallon gravity fed overhead fuel tank. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been sitting empty, but it was empty when I moved into the place three years ago so it's been at least that long.

It seems in pretty good shape, with no cracks and very little rust on the exterior. There's a thin coating of surface rust on the inside as well as a little bit of scaling.

How thorough do I have to clean this thing before I fill it full of diesel? Do I need to get all the rust out or is a good filter good enough?

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #2  
I'm looking clean out and fix up a 400 gallon gravity fed overhead fuel tank. I'm not sure exactly how long it's been sitting empty, but it was empty when I moved into the place three years ago so it's been at least that long.

It seems in pretty good shape, with no cracks and very little rust on the exterior. There's a thin coating of surface rust on the inside as well as a little bit of scaling.

How thorough do I have to clean this thing before I fill it full of diesel? Do I need to get all the rust out or is a good filter good enough?

I don't see how you can do much but try to get any dirt out of it. Unless somebody knows of a rust treatment that you can apply like phosphoric acid to turn the rust in to ferrous( ferric?)phosphate whick is pretty stable.

Make sure you put a filter on the outlet and see if it has a water drain on the bottom. If not, now is the time to put that in. usually those tanks are tipped up on the stand so that the end with the fuel outlet is slightly higher than the opposite end. The lower end will collect water and there should be a drain valve so you can occasionally drain the water that wll inevitably condense in the tank.

/ Cleaning a fuel tank
I've never owned one of these before so I just have no idea what the common practice would be when filling one that's been sitting empty for a while.

So I'm probably ok to just spray it out the best I can with the hose, make sure I've got all the water out, add a drain as you suggested and invest in a good filter and I'm set?

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #4  
You might take a rubber hammer and gently rap on it all over, that might help to knock off some of the oxide, then wash it out. :)

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #5  
I've never owned one of these before so I just have no idea what the common practice would be when filling one that's been sitting empty for a while.

So I'm probably ok to just spray it out the best I can with the hose, make sure I've got all the water out, add a drain as you suggested and invest in a good filter and I'm set?

Sounds like a plan!

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #6  
I don稚 know what your fuel dealer will say about having a containment area for possible leakage! In our area this would be considered as a new installation and would require a containment area of at least matching the container size, :)

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #7  
If it were mine I would wash it out with a power washer then dry it out 100% I would then spray some light motor oil/diesel mix with a standard garden pump up sprayer on all the walls to prevent rust. I am not talking much oil, maybe 1 gallon of fuel and 1 qt of oil. Get it filled asap after that.

As for the filter I would get 2 elements. I get ones from Rural King that have a petcock drain on the bottom so I can check for water every 6 months or so.

Chris

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #8  

If I was going to use that tank, it would get steamed out and a sealer put in it. I think POR makes a sealer for the inside of fuel tanks. Most fuel filters are 10 or 20 micron any rust, dirt ect smaller then 10 micron goes thru the injector pump & injectors. Injectors don't like dirt and you would always be changing the fuel filter/s on the tank and possible what ever you use that fuel in.

/ Cleaning a fuel tank #9  
I am thankful to all of you because you all share some your thinking. I never cleaning the fuel tank.. so i am unknown about this.. Thanks for this thread. :)