Castrol GTX ok for NH 35D?

/ Castrol GTX ok for NH 35D? #1  

jlong

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC35D
I have been using Castrol GTX 10w30 in my NH TC 35D. I have been told be a NH rep to use only NH oil. I change oil and NH filter every 50 hours. I am wondering if there is more than just a price difference in the oil. If there is a significant difference, is there something available from the autoparts store, as my NH dealer is about an hour away. Thanks ahead of time for any response.

/ Castrol GTX ok for NH 35D? #2  
You can use any oil that's diesel rated and of the right viscosity for the temps in your area.

/ Castrol GTX ok for NH 35D? #3  
I don't think GTX is rated for a diesel. THat would be a c? rating. Look on your container and it will tell you for sure.
GregH

/ Castrol GTX ok for NH 35D? #4  
Jim, you do not have to use a NH oil. But as others say, it must be rated CD or CF, or whatever NH says in the manual. I think the GTX is rated something like SJ which means it's only certified for use in non-diesel engines. Many say the S stands for spark ignition and the C for compression. Not sure if this is exactly right but it's a great way to remember it. I switched to synthetic and syn-blends years ago because they carry the diesel certification for the mulitgrade oil. I may now make the switch to the new Shell Rotella T multigrade synthetic.