Diesel Storage Tank Setup

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #1  

Nature Girl

Tractor
Kubota L3700, FEL quick release bucket, Root Grapple, 5' brush Hog - King Kutter, 6' Blade.
The first time I put gas in my new Kubota L3700su, yes you read that right....GAS not DIESEL was because the 5 gallon tank was marked "diesel" but someone lied - imagine that. I panicked and fortunately my friend was driving by as I was lamenting over my inability to discern the different fuel types by smell, feel, burn test, etc. At least I had a gut sense something was wrong before I poured. He drained the gas tank and I watched and witnessed something I would rather NEVER experience again.

My second favorite activity (other than adding gas to my diesel tractor) is the 15 mile errand to fill my two 5 gallon Diesel tanks. So the best way to remedy that event is to buy a diesel storage tank right?

Craigslist seems to always have the magic items so I drove to Illinois and loaded the 100 gallon tank on my trailer. I asked the guy on the phone what percentage of rust was on the tank - 30% he said....hmmmm.

A friend is going to weld me a stand from the left over piping taken out of my well when we replaced the pump. The tank has a diesel nosel. But I have a few other questions about this process:

1. The tank is empty or mostly so, do I need to drain it completely? He drained all the diesel out right before I bought it.
2. Do I need to clean it out with anything?
3. I want to paint it but certainly feel a little concerned about alot of sanding - should I just Rustoleum it with a spray paint first and then add another coat? Also is there a specific color that reflects the heat and hoodlums?
4. Is there a shelf life on diesel stored in a tank like this?
5. Does anyone have a setup that they can share that works great with any recommendations?
6. Is there a perfect height the tank should sit? Since it's gravity fed I was just going to measure the height of my tractor gas tank and make it a foot or so higher.
7. Any other safety tips?

Thank you!
Nature Girl

Attachments

• 1302731499427.jpg
    1302731499427.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 601
  • 1302731572802.jpg
    1302731572802.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 447
  • 1302731580936.jpg
    1302731580936.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 376
  • 1303861860514.jpg
    1303861860514.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 372
   / Diesel Storage Tank Setup #2  
If I were you, or that was my tank....I wouldn't be putting anything into it. The rust on the outside is possibly just what it looks like on the inside. And the fuel may just leak right out of the tank and onto the ground. At over $4.00 a gallon, that isn't where you want it, let alone the mess it will cause on the ground.

I had a good friend who had a tank (actually looked much better than the one pictured). He had nearly 300 gallons of diesel from a new fill. Took two months vacation and returned to find just a few gallons left in the tank and a huge diesel fuel soaked ground around there.

How many gallons of fuel do you think you will need each month? I use my tractor a fair amount and have no problem bringing a 5 gal. can home about once or twice a month. I know it is fresh, and know that it is mixed right for winter usage and summer usage.

My suggestion, ditch the tank idea. ;)

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #3  
1. The tank is empty or mostly so, do I need to drain it completely? He drained all the diesel out right before I bought it.
2. Do I need to clean it out with anything?
3. I want to paint it but certainly feel a little concerned about alot of sanding - should I just Rustoleum it with a spray paint first and then add another coat? Also is there a specific color that reflects the heat and hoodlums?
4. Is there a shelf life on diesel stored in a tank like this?
5. Does anyone have a setup that they can share that works great with any recommendations?
6. Is there a perfect height the tank should sit? Since it's gravity fed I was just going to measure the height of my tractor gas tank and make it a foot or so higher.
7. Any other safety tips?

Thank you!
Nature Girl

If it is mainly surface rust, you should be ok, inspect it carefully, most leaks are from the hose fitting at the bottom, and not shutting the valve off when your done fueling.

1. Once again, inspect it, if it has held diesel before, and is relatively clean
inside, I wouldn't worry about it.
2. See 1, however I would add here, replace the hoses if they are cracked or bad,, didn't look to hot in the photo. :confused:
2.5 Very important,, diesel is inherently a "dirty fuel" ADD A FILTER to the outlet and change it annually,, can get them at Rig R or TSC.
3. Wire brush it, seal every opening well, and clean it good,, then bomb can it with a good primer, and paint it white or silver (reflects sun better/stays cooler) stencil "DIESEL" on the front of it so the kids don't try an fill their four wheelers with it! :D
4. Very long shelf life on diesel,,, esp if you use any additive,,, I started up a 1957 JD 70 diesel the other day that had been sitting in a farmers shed for 3-4 yrs, (maybe longer) and it fired on the first bump!
5. I use RR ties for the 1000 gallon tanks, but whatever you use, make sure its stable and the bulk fuel guy can get to the top easy.
6. Make it a little higher than you think you need right now,,, What if you get a bigger tractor,,, would suck to have a bulk fueling station that you have to pour into 5 gallon jugs to put in your New tractor!

7. Shut off valve at the outlet,,, I like the 1/4 turn ones that you can lock,
although I don't have a problem around here,,, (all my keys are in all my tractors and trucks!) nice to have the option!

7b. Stable and strong enough to hold the 1000 lbs or so its going to weigh full. and once again in case you missed it,,, add a FUEL FILTER to the outlet after the 1/4 turn shutoff valve! you'll be good to go!!:thumbsup:

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #4  
Also If MO is like Washington,,, if you by off road diesel, you don't have to pay the hi-way tax on it,,, saves about .50 a gallon,,,, adds up when you fill 1000 gal tanks!:D:thumbsup:

Also, if anyone says don't run offroad,, unless you can get Hi-sulfur where you are, its not a big deal,, here in Washington the only difference between hiway diesel and off road is they inject a dye in it as they jobber is fueling his tanks at the bulk plant! (I asked) he told me they both come from the same tank!
Most people think off-road is hi-sulfur,,, probably not! :mad:

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #5  
Sorry to "junk up your original question, but if you're worried about storing diesel for extended periods, you can us a biostat agent to prevent algae growth,,, and make sure your tank is clean to begin with.

Dan

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #6  
I'm inclined to agree with beenthere on this one.

I use a 5 gallon can myself, with a siphon pump to move fuel from the can to the tractor.

Unless you can put the fueling station somewhere secure it's like asking for trouble. Any leaks are bad news too.

5 gallons will pretty much fill your 3700 when the fuel gauge shows empty, if it's like my 3400. There's a few gallons that are left in the tank, which helps to avoid running it dry.

Sean

Attachments

• DSC00895.jpg
    DSC00895.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 648
   / Diesel Storage Tank Setup #7  
Try to sell that rusty old tank.

A lot of people will spend way too much on a fueling system, and not enough on a greasing system.

Spend your money on a good rechargeable electric grease gun (Lincoln highly recommended) and keep on using the 5 gallon containers. They work a whole lot easier if you only put 4 gallons in them.

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #8  
On the subject of grease guns, if you do buy a rechargeable, consider the Milwaukee M12. I have had one for almost a year and it is on its original battery charge. I bought it, charged it once, used ot for the loader probably 5 times, the backhoe once, and a used disk I bought which took several tubes of grease to fill it once (probably won't ever need to grease it again). Then I used the gun last weekend to grease the lawnmower deck after the gun had sat in its case all winter. Still had battery charge indicating 3/4. All that on one charge, and over about 10 months time. And I believe it is cheaper than the Lincoln. And it does not leak oil, period.

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #9  
Nature girl,
I think you are on the right track. Paint it with white paint to resist heat as stated before. Also I started using off road about 5 years ago and it's the best decision I have ever made. Also if your Tank is 1000 gallons then no big deal cause nobody makes the decision about how much goes in but you. And to all you other guys! Y'all should go invest in a small 50 gallon transfer tank that you can lift out of your truck with your tractor. Off road is way cheaper, and I have found it to be a lot more clean! You will be surprised on how much money it will save you! I got a 500 gallon tank and I field it up last summer and I still have over half a tank. Think about the savings with the rising fuel prices. Just my 2 cents!

/ Diesel Storage Tank Setup #10  
IMHO a pickup bed storage tank is pretty handy way to get fuel and fill from.