Air compressor "oil" filters

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
Somewhere I read where somebody was using automotive oil filters as AIR filters on their air compressor (I can't remember where, and I'm not finding it here for some reason if it is indeed here).

Does anybody here do that and if so, what's the advantage of doing it? My compressor has a couple of small rinky-dink crappy plastic covered filters on it, so if this "mod" actually works I'm going to switch them over when they get dirty enough. I will assume you could just use the correct pipe nipple to screw into the compressor heads and then screw the oil filters onto those?

Thanks!

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #2  
I don't believe I ever heard of anyone using an automotive oil filter for an air filter on a compressor, but some compressors, such as the 60 gallon Puma I used to have, use air filters that look just like a smaller version of the dry air filters used on lots of cars at least when cars had carburetors on the top middle of the engine.:laughing:

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #3  
Hitechted

I also remember reding this somewhere here and am also interested in reading

I will search and get back to u

/ Air compressor "oil" filters
I don't believe I ever heard of anyone using an automotive oil filter for an air filter on a compressor, but some compressors, such as the 60 gallon Puma I used to have, use air filters that look just like a smaller version of the dry air filters used on lots of cars at least when cars had carburetors on the top middle of the engine.:laughing:

I have owned a few cars that had carburetors...those were the days!

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #5  
Amen HiTech Ted! Almost a thing of the past. Could rebuild my carb blindfolded. No computers on cars either, those were the days.

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #6  
I have been in the compressor business for over 15 years and never heard of that. I think that would be too difficult to plumb up and have way too much restriction. Get you a Solberg air filter for that compressor. You can find them online or at McMaster Carr. Philip.

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #7  
Many woodturners use vacuum chucks to hold bowls when finishing the bottoms. I've seen several posts from folks who use automotive in-line fuel filters on either input or output lines from their vacuum pumps.
BOB

/ Air compressor "oil" filters #8  
Somewhere I read where somebody was using automotive oil filters as AIR filters on their air compressor (I can't remember where, and I'm not finding it here for some reason if it is indeed here).

Does anybody here do that and if so, what's the advantage of doing it? My compressor has a couple of small rinky-dink crappy plastic covered filters on it, so if this "mod" actually works I'm going to switch them over when they get dirty enough. I will assume you could just use the correct pipe nipple to screw into the compressor heads and then screw the oil filters onto those?

Thanks!

Fleetguard makes some hydraulic tank breather filters that spin on. The easiest one is the AF4884 which comes with a 3/4" NPT adaptor to fit the filter thread of 1 1/8"-16 UN 2B filter 'spud' thread. They make several such tank breather filters composed of pleated paper like an oil filter.

It really is no stretch to use a small automotive oil filter as an air filter. It will be much more effective at removing airborne dust than the foam air filters.