Power steering 555c ford

/ Power steering 555c ford #1  

Legga

Tractor
Ford 555c loader backhoe
Hi, my power steering went heavy so I decided to check level. Found unit but am unsure how much fluid to put in, how do you know?

/ Power steering 555c ford #2  
Hi, my power steering went heavy so I decided to check level. Found unit but am unsure how much fluid to put in, how do you know?

power steering pump if setting in seat looking forward, is on left hand side, and runs off the belt that drives the radiator fan / alternator.

the power steering pump has its own reservoir built right on the back side of it, there is a cap on mine that just twists off.

for me, everyone i asked initially stated to use same hyd fluid in everything, (front reservoir hyd fluid, trans hyd fluid, rear differtial hyd fluid, and the power steering) use all the same hyd fluid, and only extra oil i need is regular diesel engine oil for the engine.

when the hyd motor (up on the steering shaft / near steering wheel) started leaking hyd fluid, i looked up info in the shop manual. i want to say. just fill it up and just barely over the screen. if fluid is low, you will can use a flash light if need be with FEL raised up, to see what looks kinda like a rough wheel that spins in side (it is a screen)

i accidentally filled it to much and right up to the cap. and ended up with oil all over the driveway. after turning the machine back on.

due to placement of the fill cap and the arms of the FEL. raising the FEL works half way, but you need a short funnel and a small say 1/2 gallon jug of hyd fluid, if you are like me and keep 5 gallon bucket of hyd fluid around. then i tend to keep FEL all the way down. and ended up buying a long bendable spout funnel. to work my way around the FEL and into the power steering pump.

both ways can be a down right pain to fill with hyd fluid. and if not extra careful can easily spill and overfill the power steering pump reservoir on it.

i have found that if i just barely fill oil over the screen. less air is pulled into the system. less air = better steering. there is about 1/4" area between top of screen inside of it and cap that i honestly can not tell you exactly were it is. that seems to work just right for me. it would be nice if i had a dip stick like cap for it. to better adjust fluid level to this exact 1/4" range though.

if you ran things down to low. in order to work air out of the power steering and cylinders. put FEL down to raise front wheels off ground as far as possible "tractor needs to be running". get a screw driver and put in steering wheel. and turn that steering wheel as fast as you can fully left, and then do same thing but fully right, repeat say 24 times. and it should work all the air out of lines and in the 2 cylinders out. just keep an eye on the fluid, for me after replacing the power steering motor (not the pump) i had to refill a couple times. also after initially bleeding the air out. i had to let tractor set over night and re-check and redo turning of the steering wheel. due to there was so much air in the system. a lot of the air ended up getting entertained in the oil. so that over night wait allowed the air to come out of the oil. and allowed me to re bleed the rest of the air out of the system. once i did that. boy talk about a sudden difference in how fast and responsive the turning of the front tires were. a baby could turn the steering wheel it was so easy and responsive even if standing still and a full load of dirt in the FEL.

if ya turn the steering wheel to slow. trying to bleed the air out. can result in not getting all the air out. ((at least that is my experience)) and from what the shop manual denotes.

/ Power steering 555c ford
Boggen, thanks for that it worked a treat

All the best
Legga

/ Power steering 555c ford
RickB said:
It is impossible to overfill the reservoir. Fill until it runs out the fill port, or is about to.

Correct, it just flows over and sets it's own level

/ Power steering 555c ford #6  
I know this is an ooooooold thread, but I think my farmtrac 555 power steering unit is on the passenger side (right when looking from the seat forward.). There is a cap that tightens with a top screw, similar to a boat plug. Would that be my reservoir for the power steering fluid? There is a screen underneath the cap.

/ Power steering 555c ford #7  
I know this is an ooooooold thread, but I think my farmtrac 555 power steering unit is on the passenger side (right when looking from the seat forward.). There is a cap that tightens with a top screw, similar to a boat plug. Would that be my reservoir for the power steering fluid? There is a screen underneath the cap.

Welcome to TBN.

Can't help you with your search. On my Fords what you describe is the engine oil fill cap.

Having never paid any attention, is there a Farmtrac forum here on TBN? If so, post your question there maybe?

/ Power steering 555c ford #8  
Welcome to TBN.

Can't help you with your search. On my Fords what you describe is the engine oil fill cap.

Having never paid any attention, is there a Farmtrac forum here on TBN? If so, post your question there maybe?

I Was able to locate the reservoir and filled it up. It is sitting behind the radiator protection screen and in front of the radiator and below the breather. Plastic container. I finally called Ron in OK and he filled me in! I was so happy to know it was just low (nearly out!) of fluid. It was leaking from the cylinder and I just did not know where to refill it. It bled itself as I turned the steering back and forth. Now I致e got it! Thank you so much for answering and at least trying! Blessings!!

/ Power steering 555c ford #9  
No worries. Glad you got it figured out.