Tractor
    ih farmall super c

Default super c farmall

i just bought a 1950's super c. im needing to.know what kind of engine oil, gear oil and lever control( for the two piont hitch) i need to put in it. i not a clue about this tractor so any help woulds be great..

Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

Default Re: super c farmall

I have a 1948 IHC Service Manual. It doesn't have the Super C but it does have the Super A. I believe they use the same lubricants. Remember that back in those days they did not have multi-viscosity oils and synthetic lubes were only a fantasy. The book lists SAE-30 engine oil above 32ー and SAE 10W hydraulic oil for all temperatures. Transmission and differential take SAE-90 in all temperatures although it does say to add 1/2 pint kerosene to each axle housing for continuous operation under -10ー. Recommended change interval for engine oil and filter is 120 hours. Recommended oil change interval for the transmission and differential is 960 hours or 1 year. The service manual only gives a hydraulic oil level check interval - 240 hours. It says to see the Operator's Manual for change interval. I remember on our old Farmalls we ended up switching to SAE-30 in the hydraulic system as things wore. I can't remember them having a hydraulic filter - there is none shown on the Super A in the Service Manual. Also, I can't remember if the C has drop axle housings like the Super A or straight out "trumpet housings" like the H and M. I threw in that little bit about the A and its special axle housing oil requirement. I hope today's cleaner gasoline reduces carbon buildup over what we had in the old days. Dad sold mostly Super A's, Super C's, and H's at his dealership. I remember getting the dirty job of cleaning all the carbon buildup off the combusion chambers and valves, a pain in the butt.
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

Tractor
    1947 International Harvester A - I , 1951 Farmall Super C,1986 Longs 460 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by owens View Post
    i just bought a 1950's super c. im needing to.know what kind of engine oil, gear oil and lever control( for the two piont hitch) i need to put in it. i not a clue about this tractor so any help woulds be great..
    [QUOTE]what years did they make the super c

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

I've got a C with hyds... I'll tell you what I've used, and had no problems with.

15w40 C/S rated oil in the engine. I get good oil pressure hot or cold.. winter or summer ( 25' - 104' florida.. etc.. )

for the hyds i used UTF fluid meeting modern oil specs...

for the rear.. now here is where it gets more difficult.

the oil i drained out looked like TAR. I had to mineral spirits flush it all out.

I initially put 80w90 in it and the thing sounded like a rubber band drive with gear noise out the wazoo. scared me.. had sounded fine with the tar.

talked to a couple of predominately 'red power' collectors and they told me to drain the 90 out and put in 140, and then buy a couple tubes of plain cheap as you can get.. amber / brown #2 gun grease and just plunger the entire tube(s) into the gear case then run her.

did that.. and now she's quiet as a mouse. runs fine. I use her to pull a drag and light cultivator.

probably not book... but passing along what other red people told me. I have much less exp with red.. only have a cub, the C and an H. More familiar with fords.. etc..
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA