Oil Analysis

/ Oil Analysis #1  

wichiwichi

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500DT,June 2000
Has anyone here done an analysis on their tractor oil? I was thinking of doing it as a preventitive maintenance routine and maybe down the road a selling point if I decide to sell. Any opinions or thoughts.

/ Oil Analysis #2  
I have not, but you might want to go visit the "bobistheoilguy.com" site...and post your question there. Many oil experts hang out there, although they are oriented towards auto and diesel truck rather than tractor's. Other than a onetime test to see what is going on with the engine and oil, I think testing is mainly if you are into using synthetics and going to extended drain intervals... The extended drain helps offset the higher cost of the synthetic oil... The constant testing helps determine that the oil is still working properly and has the correct lubrication and protection still in the oil... Personally, I am sticking with changing the oil twice a year... once in the late spring and then in the late fall... my usage is only 50 hrs per year, so I am well below the recommended interval based on hours...

I think showing the maintenance schedule and that you were testing the oil would provide reassurance to a buyer that you have taken care of the tractor and not abused it... Obviously, the condition of the tractor in appearance will have a lot to say about this as well... On the flip side of the extended drains, if you were to tell someone that is what you do, skeptics might be turned of... So, if you are not going to extend drain levels and just test...would see it as a positive..

/ Oil Analysis #3  
Wichiwichi,

Some people may view that data as a selling point. Personally, I'd look at it and go that's nice, and ignore it. I really don't think it would mean squat to nearly every buyer out there. I can look at a machine from the outside and pretty much tell whether it's been well mantained. If the outside looks good, generally, you can assume the inside does to. Used car lots excepted. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If I was a gee whiz type, I'd do it as a curiosity standpoint, but not for resale.

Nick

/ Oil Analysis #4  
The other use for analysis is predictive maintenance. Unless you're running a fleet or expensive construction equipment, it may not be worth it. For high dollar equipment, testing is an advantage especially at auction. Unless you have high hours on your tractor when you sell it, it may not affect the price.

For peace of mind, it can't hurt. To be thorough you'd have to test the transmission/hydraulic oil too.

As far as extending drain intervals, it makes sense when you're buying oil by barrel or in bulk. When you're using that much oil just dumping it because the time or hours are up could be wasting lots of money. Testing tells you how well the additive package in the oil is holding up. If the oil is still good, why get rid of it?

The thing that puts me off when it comes to buying equipment is that a pressure washer and a relatively inexpensive paint job makes it more difficult to discern how well the stuff was maintained. Just looking at it, doesn't give you the whole picture.

On the other hand a piece of equipment that ran well with poor appearance but backed with records showing excellent maintenance might be a better deal than the spiffed up pig someone's trying to unload.

/ Oil Analysis #5  
Well I don't know if I would go so far as to say experts hand out there. There is lots of bashing of certain products and know-it-alls professing to be experts. Some appear to know what they are talking about but very few.

I don't think many experts are going to spend thier time surfing BB's.

Here's a site to look at Take me threre now

/ Oil Analysis #6  
Hi,

There have been discussions on this point here in the past...

After reading them I decided that as much as I want to maintain my tractor well as possible, that it would probably make more sense to change the filter and oil more frequently, rather than spend money on oil analysis...as a one-tractor owner who really wants to do the best for his tractor.

So...I will change my oil and filter at every 50 hours if using it a lot, and maybe even at every 25 hours if not [doubt that]

In my mind, the analysis just tells the tale of problems after they happen...changing the oil and filter more frequently than recommended can only help prevent problems to begin with.

Right, or wrong...that is how I see it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Oil Analysis #7  
Listen to Henro. If you want to have an analysis done, do so. It is not necessary for us. Use quality oil and filters and change oil and filters regularly.

/ Oil Analysis #8  
The way I look at it is, if you change engine oil and filter every 100 hours or once a year, you won't have any problems.

Let me clarify that statement. You won't have any problems from not changing the oil and filter.

/ Oil Analysis #9  
I have a sample kit here from BLACKSTONE and the cost is $20 for the basic test + $1.52 postage. There is no charge for the sample kit.

If you were planning on severe service or extended drain intervals then it would be wise to test but for just home use, it would be informative but costly.

That said, it can also shead light on the quality of the oil and filters you are using. I am aware of some people who used a certain brand or oil and filters for years and then had their oil tested and found out the oil they were using was not giving them the protection they assumed all along.

Some are of the belief that any oil and filters are good enough as long as you change it often, the more the better in thier opinion (not referring to anyone here). While on the other hand I take the position of using the best oil and filters I can find. For me its been synthetic oils since 1977 (yes 1977) and al my equipment, the oil and filters are changed annually, no matter the mileage or hours.

Mike

2002 Fireird Trans Am WS6
2001 GMC SLT Ext Cab Z71
2001 Honda Rancher 4X4 ATV
1993 Lumina Sedan
Honda and Craftsman lawn mowers
Husqavarna weed wacker and chain saw

all run on synthetic lubricants from day 1 of use.

/ Oil Analysis #10  
WichiWichi,

I'm doing oil tests on my truck I bought a 15 months ago. I
have a sampe that I need to mail to Blackstone. I'm not into
the long drain times since its not worth it to me. But I do
want to see how the engine is wearing so I'm doing the tests.
I WISH I had done this on my tractor. I'm at the 400 hour
mark and if it would stop raining/snowing/sleeting I would
get to do all of the work the tractor needs at this point. I
will send in the tractor oil for the tests.

I'm doing it to just see how the engine is wearing and make
sure there is no other problem. PM more than anything else.

Later,
Dan