FEL grease

/ FEL grease #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
What are you guys using to grease the pins on your FEL? I have been using the red moly grease you buy at tractor supply stores. What I've noticed lately is that in this intense heat, it seems to be thinning out a bit. Plus when I look at the pins, there appears to be nothing on them...they are just shiny metal. I put a couple of shots of grease in all the zerks between 5 and 10 hours of use, enough that it comes out the sides. Right now there's a lot more coming out the sides than usual due to the heat, and what's coming out is not red anymore....

Any suggestions?

/ FEL grease #2  
Red molly? Molly is black, never had a problem with it in the heat.

/ FEL grease #3  
I use my loader for hay work, moving rounds, loading wagons, filling barns, etc., so I work them a lot. I use the same grease I grease everything with, Mobil synthetic. I use Mobil because one, it's available to me in 150 pound open head drums (I have an air greaser) and two, it's relatively inexpensive in bulk, about 300 bucks for a 150 pound drum.

I need a grease that won't come off in the field, has a high film strength and can be used in various applications, from wheel bearings to knotter gearing and the Mobil fills that bill.

It's normal for grease to come from a joint black. It's doing it's job, like motor oil, carrying away the dirt and contamination and the pins and links need only an almost invisible film of grease to be lubricated. if they weren't, they'd be squeaking and galling. Just keep on greasing every 10 hours or so with whatever you use. It's frequency of greasing (and changing fluids like motor oil) that provides long life.

...and yes, molybdenum disulfide is black. problem is, most moly additive greases have a clay base (carrier) and the clay base can harden in a grease cavity, especially if it's greased infrequently, one reason I don't use it.

I depend on my tractors and implements for farming, not a hobby, part time use situation. I need reliability when I use them.

/ FEL grease #4  
What are you guys using to grease the pins on your FEL? I have been using the red moly grease you buy at tractor supply stores. What I've noticed lately is that in this intense heat, it seems to be thinning out a bit. Plus when I look at the pins, there appears to be nothing on them...they are just shiny metal. I put a couple of shots of grease in all the zerks between 5 and 10 hours of use, enough that it comes out the sides. Right now there's a lot more coming out the sides than usual due to the heat, and what's coming out is not red anymore....

Any suggestions?

You might want to consider vegetable grease lubricant as an option as it is safe to use around food products and has a very high lubrication quality as well.

As long as you have grease exiting the pin anchors it is doing it job for you.

/ FEL grease #5  
Man this question comes up weekly,a search will provide many answers and choices on a quality grease for this application.

/ FEL grease #6  
Any and somewhat frequently. We are not talking high speed here.

/ FEL grease #7  
Schaeffers 238 Ultra Supreme. Aluminum Complex base, 5% moly meets Cat specs for pins and bushings. Won't wash out, pound out, sling out or melt out.

If you prefer a red grease, the 229 has a 3% Moly and is still Aluminum complex.

Order on line, I can give you a 10% discount for on-line purchase or 30% wholesale account.

/ FEL grease #8  
I have tried Schaeffers, Amsoil, tractor supply and I cannot find any diff.

Just grease after water/washing or 10+ hours...

/ FEL grease #9  
What was the length of time you used them? Did you have on opportunity to performe side by side tests? The differences between a high end product like Amsoil, Schaeffers, TRC, Certified.... and Tractor Supply are Wal Mart are easy to prove. Are you telling us grease is grease?

/ FEL grease #10  
I have tried Schaeffers, Amsoil, tractor supply and I cannot find any diff.....
An untrained eye usually would not, so yea i see your point.