Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I recently did a service on a 1910 Ford, engine O&F, front axle and transmission which was milky.
I had some Tractor supply oil on hand from a previous service but not enough so I went to NAPA & picked up 10 gallons of their Good (not premium) tractor hydraulic oil at $53.00 per 5 gallons.
First I used the remainder of the Tractor Supply Traveller Premium oil @ $42.00 per 5 gallons which was crystal clear then I finished the fill with the Napa brand because they were close and it was medium amber in color.
I know they are compatible but I need to ask those with more experience in this area, which would you prefer TS or Napa?
I would think the TS brand is very good because of the market they serve.
I shy away from chain store oil brands such as Wal-Mart SuperTek oil & filters (which I hear are currently of good quality) because I feel they can and will change suppliers at any time due to cost advantages
When it comes to lubricants & filters I generally disregard price as quality is more important to me.

Whats your experience?
What do you prefer?

Thanks Tim

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #2  
Hello and good morning Tim,

As long as the API(American Petroleum Industry rating is identical or
comparable in service rating you have no worries.

Most hydraulic oil is a 10 wieght refined oil as a rule.

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #3  
Tim, I recently changed the hydraulic oil in my Ford 1710. I used Napa, but only since I had to go there anyways to get the hydraulic filter. I think if TSC meets the Ford 134 spec it would be fine. I have used TSC fluid in other machines though. Also, there is a cheaper grade of hydraulic fluid which is meant only for woodsplitters or dump truck pistons.

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #4  
Warren Oil makes the Traveller brand for TSC. They have 2 teirs there. The premium universal and universal. I used the lower and thought it was good quality. You can get it on sale for $34.99 that reason alone i would use it instead of napa which may even be the same supplier. Im my mind napa has way to much markup on its stuff to be in the napa boxes it is.

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #5  
Hello and good morning Tim,

As long as the API(American Petroleum Industry rating is identical or
comparable in service rating you have no worries.

Most hydraulic oil is a 10 wieght refined oil as a rule.

When speaking of "hydraulic oil", you easily can be referring to an Industrial hydraulic oil product that comes in I.S.O. grades. An SAE 10 grade (or weight) product, would correspond to a hydraulic 32. There are many and various viscosities of hydraulic oil used in industry settings, quite a few common ones not being like 10 weight oil, but heavier than that. Such as I.S.O. 46, or 68, or even 100, the 100 being about a SAE 30 grade viscosity.
Tractor Hydraulic Fluid used for hydraulics in a tractor and to lube it's gears, is about a 10W/30 grade, a multi-vis product.
An API spec is good to have printed on the side of the pail, but it's based on the oil when it's new in the bucket, unused. I would venture to say that some box store oils just might not be within API specs with a lot of hard work and hours ran up on it in service, between regular oil change outs. Just my gut, but I will always prefer a Mobil 424, Chevron THF, Shell Donax, or some similar name product that is tested frequently by the manufacturer, backed with a good warranty, and known to always work, preferring those over a generic unknown product because it was a few bucks cheaper.

/ Tractor Hydraulic oil Napa or Tractor Supply #6  
That's very true, Bruce, and a good point to bring up! I remember way back several years ago now reading a consumers report study they did on engine oil. It was exactly as you said, several brands of oil just barely met spec right out of the bottle new...a few didn't even do that. After they had ran them through an injector to simulate several hundred miles of usage, many of them failed to remain in spec. It's definitely something to keep in mind when you buy oil, be it engine oil or hydraulic oil or gear oil. You need to buy an oil that not only is in spec, but one that remains in spec