Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Default Well after 25 years I finally got a fuel tank.

While I do not have a photo of the tank it has good paint and is 61" long and 37" wide. The guy sold it as a 300 gallon tank but when I plugged the numbers into a calulator it came up more like 284 gallon so I guess that could be called a 300 gallon tank by the marketing folks.

It has great white paint on it with no signs of rust. He bought the tank from a local distributor who does drive past my house and he claims he gave $500 for the used tank. When he bought it there was a little watery fuel in it he stated so the distributor emptied it and poured in some gas and flushed it out.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_47580_47580

This is the tank that matches mine less the stand which I did not want.

The guy had pulled a sample for me to see in a glass jar and it was trash free but did have a hazy to the gas color. We have not drained the tank yet but was able to pump out a couple more gallons with a lot of spitting and it came out clear of any trash so I think it may be a clean tank. Most hand pumps do not get out the last drop anyway.

GPI 50 Gal/100 Strokes Dual-Flo Hand Pump (HP-100-UL) | eBay

This is the pump the guy bought new back in the spring and it still looks new.

01A31GM Fuel Meter [3-30 GPM (10-100 LPM)] - $139.44 : GPI Meters!, The Art of E-commerce

I have no idea why for his personal use he paid for a flow meter but it is there and seems to work. There is a nice spin on NAPA filter after the meter.

He said there was about 40 foot of new hose and a new gas station looking filler nozzle with an lock open catch. There are three sections of hose and each is 14'+. He build a little rack for it using 4x4' treated lumber so it is 3.5" off the ground which I prefer at this point. The hand pump is very high volume it seems.

In a major ice store it would give me 12 days of run time for the generator if full. Every fall I store about 60 gallons and use it for mower gas next summer and that is a lot of lugging on my hips. Plastic containers are not that great in 100F degree weather. They had put a sealed gas cap on the tank that looks like a large radiator cap in one of the 2" holes on the top side.

I am guessing buying gas $1000+ a pop will feel strange.

He said he had about a $1000 in the set up and wanted $500. I took $420 and the trailer with me and we did the deal. He was a little slow to say yes until he saw the stack of 21 bills.

The fact the tank came from the distributor that I plan to use, looked great on the outside and if it has trash inside the filter stopped it totally made it worth $100 more to me. I will use my new oil filter opener and cut it open to see what I get. If that is clear I may not even mess with breaking the seal on the drain plug and add a little Sea Foam.

I will order pure gas only and this the only distributor that I know around that still handles it.
    Last edited by Gale Hawkins; 08-06-2011 at 08:40 PM.