Default Diesel Transfer Tank/Pump Questions

I just purchased a brand new 100 gallon transfer tank for Diesel storage for my tractor. I have a Fill Rite FR1200C pump attached to this tank that a friend gave me. I bought a new hose at the local TSC and put it on the pump, but the hose leaks a little, drips when pumping. I removed the hose and put some plumbers tape on it and reconnected but am still getting some drips. Is there a better way to make sure that I get a good fit there to keep it from dripping?

Also what are the recommendations for a filter on these units? Looks like there is a adapter than goes on the pump and filter screws into that and hose into the other end. Any recommendations on the filter type I should use.

Thanks,

Andy

Default Re: Diesel Transfer Tank/Pump Questions

I would make sure the female fitting you're trying to seal the hose to isn't damaged. I've seen it where they get a hairline crack that opens up and the more you tighten them the worse the leak is. I have no idea what the brand is but when I bought my fill-rite pump they gave me a filter with it. I think the brand of the filter is a Cin Tek.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    NH Boomer 8N, NH TC40DA

You may need to use a Fill-Rite hose without a filter. TSC sells GPI hose. There may be a minor difference.

If you put in the filter block then the hose will screw in the filter block. For the filter here is what I use, the Goldenrod Water-Block spin on filter from TSC. The Water-Block and the plain filter are the same price. I used a short nipple between the pump and the filter block.

Dutton-Lainson Goldenrod 596 Water-Block Spin-On Fuel Filter - 0189579 | Tractor Supply Company
    Randy

NH Boomer 8N, 6' Squealer Rotary Cutter
    NH TC40DA, 16LA FEL, Red Master II Harrow
    Land Pride 6' Tiller, 7' Landscape Rake
    2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 6.6 Duramax, Allison
    Big Tex 12GP 20' GN trailer
    Cub Cadet RZT 50"

I don't see any problems with the threads but you may be right about there being a minor difference in the hose. I hope that's not the case but could be. I'll get the filter with a short nipple to connect it and then put the hose back on and see if it leaks after the filter side. The leak is not bad, it's just a drop here/there but I just know that will lead to further problems.

Tractor
    JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

Go to the hardware store or plumbing supply and buy a small can of Rector-Seal. There are different formulas, so check the can and make sure it is rated for fuel. I know that I have some #5 and another one that is white. The #5 is yellow, and looks like baby poopoo. But, it seals the joint, even when teflon tape won't.
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

Donít ever wrestle with a pig. Youíll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

I have the same pump. The fittings have a pipe thread. Likely, 3/4 inch. The pump and hose are the same if they fit together. Pipe thread doesn't seal. That's why pipe dope or thread tape is available. To solve your problem, make sure you know where is the leak. Clean the area, then recheck. IF it is leaking at the threads, take it apart. Clean the threads with a wire brush. You have tape, it will work if used properly... You pump isn't generating a lot of pressure. Start at the SECOND thread of the male fitting. If you let the tape cover the first turn of the thread, you'll have pieces of teflon tape in your fuel. << BAD>> The thread cuts the tape into pieces as it is turned... Pull the tape tightly into the threads. I press the tape into the threads as I wrap it. Depending on the tape thickness, wrap it two or three times around. From beginning to the end. I wrap it to a taper. Then, thread it together, move it in one direction only to final position. Don't back it off at any time. That causes leaks, since the threads are compressed, but are then loosened.