Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal?

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #31  
and now it's an epa fine and jail time.. :)

I've wondered about that because the last time I was in the Nevada back country the county was putting down oil on the dirt roads to control dust and to prep for eventual black-top.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #32  
Plenty of people can testify of gasoline vapor, wicked stuff that can sneak up with loose gas strewn about. I've put old and rotten gas in a metal pail, set it out from anything, lit it. Course, you need to be a country folk.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #33  
ultrarunner said:
I've wondered about that because the last time I was in the Nevada back country the county was putting down oil on the dirt roads to control dust and to prep for eventual black-top.

On pavers they complete a job putting down a gravel / aggregate mixture and then to clean them off you must use an environmentally friendly cleaner (citrus of some kind). Of course the residue being cleaned off is mostly oil and it drops on the ground. In the old days they used diesel as a cleaner. When I was a kid my cousin and I watched our dads start fires with a bit of fuel so one day we put a gallon of gas in a can and lit it without killing ourselves, but then we wanted to put the fire out (the can had spilled) so we got a hose which of course spread the fire as the gas floated on the water and we burned down a chicken coop. Ah, memories.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #34  
Plenty of people can testify of gasoline vapor, wicked stuff that can sneak up with loose gas strewn about. I've put old and rotten gas in a metal pail, set it out from anything, lit it. Course, you need to be a country folk.

dust control oil is NOT diesel.

also.. it's not 'oil' they are putting down prior to paving.. it's either a tack coat or a water emulsion bituminous mix.

soundguy

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #35  
Just 'disposed' of about 10 gallon of old gas and a 2 gallon can of premix. Put it in my car and drove to woek and back a few times........ All gone.:D

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #36  
Strange this topic came up, as I logged in here just now to pose just such a question to all of you.

I emptied the fuel tanks on my Stihl chainsaw and trimmer, pouring the fuel back into the storage can. All the time I'm thinking do I want to use this stuff 4 months when spring rolls around. After laying out close to $800 for the pair of them I don't want to trash the motors with some bad fuel. I only have about a quart in the storage can right now. If I had a safe way to dispose of it I would do that and start fresh next Spring. Otherwise I will just add fresh fuel and oil in the spring and I should be OK.
The tank in my tractor holds 5 gallons of gas, if I put this quart of 50:1 in there I wonder if it will hurt it? I use the tractor through the winter with the snow blower so it will get burnt up before long. No snow here yet but in another month probably yes. I've got a second can with about a half gallon of 32:1mix for some older equipment that I need to dispose of too.

The 4 cycle equipment is easy to deal with, it's the 2 cycle fuel that I have trouble getting rid of around here.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #37  
:laughing:You could just bring it to my shop, and dump it in the 50 gallon gas tank on my 84 GMC C60. Ill even take a couple dollars for handling all of that toxic waste if you are feeling generous.

I just dumped 20 gallons 2 year old ethanol blend gas into my 99 Chevy 3500 with no ill effects, but it's motor is plenty loose and well broke in at 391,000 miles or so. Got it out of a car I hauled in for scrap from the neighbor's yard. $380.00 and almost a full tank of gas.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #38  
I do the same ... with plain old gas and old mixed fuel. Just put it in the tank of my Truck and drive on. At 300k+ miles it does not seem to mind.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #39  
I agree that mixing old gasoline , and 2 stroke mixtures into large amounts of fresh gas is probably ok . There's a limit to how old the gas can be, however, before I'll mix it in with fresh gas. I have gas that's 10 years old, and I'm reluctant to use it for anything. My state does accept old gas at our recycle stations a couple of times a year, but you have to give them your gas cans too ! And, you can't legally transport the old gas to the recycle station in improper containers, so they get you coming and going. And, of course, all outdoor burning is also now illegal , except for recreational campfires, so if we try to burn off old gas and make a lot of smoke in the process, the fire department tends to show up and start asking questions. I did call a local auto junk yard, and asked them what they do with their old gasoline. They said they would get back to me on that question, but of course they never did. I suspect they just pour it into a big pit in their back lot. I'm surprised that commercial furnaces designed to burn gasoline for winter heat are not common by now. There's a whole lot of fuel free for the taking. In the laboratory where I used to work, we had large tanks where we stored excess gasoline that contained various experimental additives. Once a year, the plant staff would take the gasoline out to the " burning grounds" . We usually had about 10,000 gallons a year of such scrap gas ! The year before I retired, I managed to find a company to buy the scrap gas for one dollar a gallon. I don't know what they did with it .

If its a few years or less i will run it in my old chevy truck, after all how much do you have? I will put a gallon or two in the old 1980 k10. Its of couse carborated and gets 10MPG and seems to run on anything and not miss abeat. If it was older and really stunk like old gas i would burn it with old oil in it, but i can burn stuff still where i live. If not then i would take it to our recycle station where they have a big metal container that you dump it in just like an oil collector, so you can bring it in whatever you have it in and pour into that and go, yes i know you cant do this, so i feel sorry for you guys. That is such a stupid decsion by local municipalities, all there doing is asking for pollution. Most folks are to ignorant or really dont have the money to pay to dispose of it properly so it gets poured onto the ground. This should be a top priority for most counties i would think? :confused2:

Put an Add on craigs list for free fuel. State what it is, how old it is and the quantity. I bet someone comes for it!

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #40  
Tell me about it. I have replace 3 cats on GM products that burned oil like crazy. My last Saturn burned 1 qt every 600 miles. Started doing it at 35,000 miles or so and I sold it at 130,000 miles. Ran like a top but was hard on the cat and sensors. I replace each twice.

Chris

I have a 1997 saturn that burns not quite that bad but there is no sensor after the cat. I have 208K on it i wonder if the cats plugged, i still get 33mpg and no cat codes, but get all other sensor codes like tps, just had bad O2 and egr i replaced.