Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal?

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #1  

PatasColo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S HST and Gravely walk-behind (2 wheel tractor - 700 lbs.).
Q: You remove gas that is up to several months old from your equipment (in prep for winter storage). What do you do with it? OK to put it in the car? What about the 50:1 gas-oil mixture from 2-cycle engines? Also OK to put in car?

I'm still learning (since getting more gas-powered equip since we're on a rural property now). I don't want to do any damage to the car engine... Local (respected) small engine and tool shop recommended putting it in car (along with a fresh full tank of gas, so that the proportion of older stuff is small). They also said I could take it to local hazardous waste disposal, and I don't like that idea really.

-Mitch
P.S. Looked for this specific issue, and found related comments but not enough real info ... and nothing on the gas+oil stuff.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #2  
I reuse old gas by mixing with new.. usually feeding it to the lawnmower or weed whacker.. or chain saw.. not my expensive automobile.. ;)

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #4  
I always just put it in the car or truck when the tank is almost full and burn it. My logic is that if I put a half gallon of 50:1 in with 10 gallons of gas, that's 1000:1. A lot of cars burn that in blow by. I can't see it causing any problems.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #5  
Consider it upper cylinder lubricant. Always a older truck or car around. Had a diesel truck get half a tank of gas- now that was a 18 gallon mess of bad fuel. No harm done to the diesel as it was running on a tank that had only diesel in it. Tractors ran on this with more gas added. Ran but would not recomend it.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #6  
I clogged up my catalytic converter on my 99 ford van by putting left over 2 stroke mix in it...a few times. Luckily the cat had a 100,000 mile warranty.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #7  
I save it and use it as firestarter for wet firewood when camping in the winter.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #8  
We just mix it with the new gas for lawnmower or put it in older truck with a carburator would probably not put it in newer vehicle with all of the sensors. Or like the others said use it for fire starter on wet wood (BE CAREFUL).

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #9  
IMO using gas for fire starter is a bad idea.

/ Old gas and gas+oil (50:1) mix - Disposal? #10  
IMO using gas for fire starter is a bad idea.

An EXTREMELY bad idea!

Gasoline fumes burn readily. Many people have been burned by using gasoline as a fire starter.