Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #1  

Bedford24

Tractor
Many
Read the Handout - 90% of what you think you know may surprise you - and Manufacturers of Engines DO NOT have Lubricant or Chemical Engineers on staff - this Information is a culumation of information from Automotive Engineering, the EPA, Virginia Dept. Agriculture's Weight & Measurements, as well as Common Sense..

Attachments

• Ethanol Handout.pdf
    128.1 KB · Views: 468
   / Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #2  
The .pdf says to use a minimum 89 octane in air-cooled engines. Not necessary at all. If the manual says 87 octane is fine...then it is. The .pdf also says to NOT use the thermostat recommended by the manufacturer of your car, but to instead swap it out for a 150 degree one to lessen the chance of blowing head gaskets. Also not necessary. (There are probably more inaccuracies and half-truths as well.)

That info is a compilation, no argument there. but at least some of it is a compilation of old wives tales.

this Information is a culumation of information from Automotive Engineering

Who exactly, (or what exactly), is "Automotive Engineering"? Is it supposed to be a credible agency of some sort? Typically, credible agencies either put their names directly on things when they're saying those things themselves, or they give permission for their name to be used if their work/research is being cited by someone else. A whole lot of that .pdf is written as if a high-schooler was the author.

Sorry.

;)

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #3  
phase separation and ethanol characteristics have
been documented many times before, and we have
experienced it first hand when our fuel supplier changed
over from non ethanol gasoline to ethanol blend, filled our
tank with a bunch of water and crud that shut new vehicles
down, including vans/trucks/gators etc. the ethanol being
introduced into the existing tanks picked up any/all water from
that tank, as well as acting as a solvent a lot of crud came thru
the system. what a mess.

notice at the end of the above posted PDF the references to 2 stroke mix
oil, Stihl brand, and their "Motomix" which is about $32 per gallon!
not saying the stihl oil isn't good, but this was more of an ad for
their products while criticizing some other products, stabil and
sea foam which have a pretty good reputation.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #4  
The .pdf says to use a minimum 89 octane in air-cooled engines. Not necessary at all. If the manual says 87 octane is fine...then it is. The .pdf also says to NOT use the thermostat recommended by the manufacturer of your car, but to instead swap it out for a 150 degree one to lessen the chance of blowing head gaskets. Also not necessary. (There are probably more inaccuracies and half-truths as well.)

That info is a compilation, no argument there. but at least some of it is a compilation of old wives tales.

Who exactly, (or what exactly), is "Automotive Engineering"? Is it supposed to be a credible agency of some sort? Typically, credible agencies either put their names directly on things when they're saying those things themselves, or they give permission for their name to be used if their work/research is being cited by someone else. A whole lot of that .pdf is written as if a high-schooler was the author.

Sorry.

;)

On many modern vehicles, swapping to a cooler thermostat will mess things up. It usually results in ruining the O2 sensor and catalytic converter since it runs rich all the time, unless the computer is reprogrammed to go into closed loop at cooler temps.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #5  

Sorry.

;)

:thumbsup:
I guess some states like Minnesota have no running vehicles by now since they all have ethanol added!
Have been using ethanol blend close to 30 years I know of, and still to this date have not had a fuel related problem.I also will say all of my vehicles probably have close to 250,000 miles before I am donewith them.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #6  
:thumbsup:
I guess some states like Minnesota have no running vehicles by now since they all have ethanol added!
Have been using ethanol blend close to 30 years I know of, and still to this date have not had a fuel related problem.I also will say all of my vehicles probably have close to 250,000 miles before I am donewith them.

I don't think I get quite as good gas mileage with the ethanol gas, but so far I've had no other problem with it in car, pickup, string trimmer, tiller, and mower.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #7  
Ethanol will clog your small engine carburetors if it is left in a tank for about 2-3 months. Ethanol will create a solid and you'll have to get your carburetor rebuilt. You also should not use ethanol in ANY 2-cycle engine. The engines and carburetors just aren't built to use it. So... beware!!! :2cents:

As for your vehicle, you will experience less gas mileage with ethanol added to your gasoline. It's a trade-off... cheaper gas or better gas mileage. I avoid ethanol fuel... period! The ONLY benefits of ethanol is to help remove water from your fuel and give farmers a reason to grow products like corn.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #8  
Ethanol will clog your small engine carburetors if it is left in a tank for about 2-3 months. Ethanol will create a solid and you'll have to get your carburetor rebuilt. You also should not use ethanol in ANY 2-cycle engine. The engines and carburetors just aren't built to use it. So... beware!!! :2cents:

As for your vehicle, you will experience less gas mileage with ethanol added to your gasoline. It's a trade-off... cheaper gas or better gas mileage. I avoid ethanol fuel... period! The ONLY benefits of ethanol is to help remove water from your fuel and give farmers a reason to grow products like corn.

That's fine for both 2-cycle and cars if you can get non-ethanol gas. I don't know of any place within 40 miles of me that it can be found.

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #9  
Wow! Really?
Most places around me (Montgomery, Alabama) don't offer Ethanol and even have signs out front that say "non-ethanol gasoline sold here".

/ Ethanol in Gasoline - Fuel Additives Gasoline - Truth #10  
Wow! Really?
Most places around me (Montgomery, Alabama) don't offer Ethanol and even have signs out front that say "non-ethanol gasoline sold here".

Don't know if you're familiar with pure-gas.org or not, but according to them the nearest ethanol free gas is in Gainesville, TX, and that's actually only about 38 miles from here. Even though I've had no problems with ethanol, I'd be willing to pay a few cents more per gallon for gasoline without it, but not drive 76 miles round trip every time I needed gasoline.