Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems?

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #1  

dennis52

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DS4510HS , Kubota B7100
Today, in a rush, I stupidly filled my gasoline container, which would have had no more than 1/2 a quart (1/2 litre) of low octane unleaded gasoline still in it, with 4 gallons (16 litres) of diesel.

Is 3% gasoline in diesel going to cause problems if I use it in in my pretty new Kioti or very old Kubota tractors ?

Would it be wise to further dilute the gasoline with more diesel or should I just ditch it?

When I have finally emptied the container, what would be the best way to clean out the residual diesel so I can use it again for gasoline?

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #2  
years ago, i attended a seminar put on by Cat, regarding many aspects of diesel engine operation, (oils, filters, fuel issues, and so on) and one thing they touched on was gasoline contaminated fuel. The findings then were that running a 5% mix of gas in diesel caused no harm in the over the road truck engines, based on 100K miles of testing. Following that we'd routinely use 1 or 2% in our various over the road trucks, in the winter as a fuel gelling prohibitor, and suffered no engine problems.
If you are doubtful of running the fuel you mention, simply dilute it with another several gallons of diesel, to reduce the percentage even more.
as far as cleaning the diesel can for gas, just drain it and fill with gas, a bit of residual diesel won't hurt a gas engine at all.
Ideally though, you should be using two containers, one for each type of fuel, so cross contamination isnt a problem.

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #3  
youd probably have no issues, but i personally would just use that mixed fuel for fire starting or degreasing uses and buy fresh fuel.

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #4  
as as, it probably is already safe.. however.. me? I would dilute it more, and run it in an older diesel. maybee add a couple ounces of power service if you don't already for lubricity...( atf if you don't have any power service.. ).

once you empty it, the next fill of gasoline in the container will remove the diesel.. and add a lil octane and upper cyl lube to your gas engine.. ;)

soundguy

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #5  
I mistakenly put 4~5 gallons of unleaded in my 2005 Dodge CTD driving across country. I filled the remainder with diesel and added 2 quarts of outboard 2cycle mix & continued my trip the engine showed no signs or noises out of the ordinary.
The primary problem with low % of gasoline in diesel is that it reduces the lubrication in the diesel fuel which could possibly damage the injection pump. I would add 1 qt 2cycle oil to the five gallons then purchase another yellow fuel can for the diesel then fill the new can ス with the mixed fuel then top them both up to further drop the gasoline percentage & use it.
Cleaning the gas can is not necessary. Just empty as you normally would & fill with gas.
You need two separate fuel cans to prevent this in the future.

Tim

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems?
Thank you all for the very helpful advice.

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #7  
Around here the DMV will drive around checking tour buses parked at ski areas. Because they will fill up down south they often don't have winter blend fuel and will pour gas into their tanks. Usually in the fall one of the local TV stations will go for a ride with them and then get the officer on camera so he can say how if you mix too much it could blow up. You need a lot more than a couple of percent before you have to worry.

I would get a different style or color tank and dedicate one for each type of fuel. I've never had a problem with gas but I have gotten some pretty dirty diesel that has left some black residue on the bottom of the can.

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #8  
yep.. for sure have a yellow diesel and red gas can... i'd get a blue or black one for the diesel if they didn't have yellow ( kero / oil )

soundguy

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #9  
Since you are "down under" I don't know if you have different color cans.

We had a large amount of red 5 gallon cans so we "converted" some for diesel. To do that, we used blue spray paint under the handle areas of the cans. This has worked great.

If you are going to "convert" a/some can(s), start with the one you have the diesel in.

If you are going to buy some blue/yellow/black/green or any color other then the gas can (I would guess the gas can is red), just fill the existing can with gas once you get the diesel out of it. A lawn mower won't care that there may be some diesel residue in the gas.

/ Will 3% gasoline in my diesel fuel cause problems? #10  
Its been a while but I think my Dodge Cummins diesel owners manual said a 10% mix of gas to diesel wouldn't hurt anything. Don't feel bad. I haven't used my chain saw for a couple of years and I filled it with gas with no 2 cycle oil today. Brain engaged just a couple of seconds before I started it.