Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #1  

aj2n

Tractor
New Holland TL80
So I was at work the other day and the Farm Manager was taking diesel fuel and spraying down the old pieces of equipment. He was saying something about how it would help or completely stop the metal from rusting away anymore. I was just wondering if anyone else did this to there equipment, and why in the world does this work?

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #2  
So I was at work the other day and the Farm Manager was taking diesel fuel and spraying down the old pieces of equipment. He was saying something about how it would help or completely stop the metal from rusting away anymore. I was just wondering if anyone else did this to there equipment, and why in the world does this work?

That will work to a degree, I used to spray used motor oil under my '70's pickups to mitigate rust..Then drive them down a dusty road.

The diesel is a thin oil and will get into all of the nooks and crannies....Don't let the enviro police see you doing that though:(

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #3  
Diesel leaves an oily residue behind. Kinda like wiping a gun barrel down with oil to prevent rust.

The farmer down the road uses diesel as well. His equipment always looked good. Even the older tractors.:thumbsup:

Just dont do it in your yard. It will kill your grass:D

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #4  
I have my local garage spray the underside of my truck in the fall. He puts down cardboard to catch the drips. If I were to do it at home I'd use the cardboard and then burn it in the wood stove.

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #5  
good grief :(

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #6  
Plenty of legal and safe means to protect against rust. Environmental violation is a $10,000 fine per occurance if you get caught. Not a smart practice.

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #7  
Plenty of legal and safe means to protect against rust. Environmental violation is a $10,000 fine per occurance if you get caught. Not a smart practice.

I agree even if there were no fine. Does the equipment just set out in the rain year around? I hate dirt and dust sticking to oily surfaces. Maybe a paint job would be more in order.

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #8  
I dont do it, but it does work. And we arent talking that much either. Maybe a pint for a whole tractor:confused2:

The black smoke billowing out of the exhaust of them "souped-up" diesel trucks probabally contains more raw fuel than the guy just wiping down his tractor once /year.

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #9  
good grief :(

Meaning what? By the time the truck comes off the cardboard, there are no drips. Burning oil soaked cardboard is no worse than burning fuel oil. I've had to junk too many good running trucks due to rusted out frames, the oiling method works 100%.

/ Spraying Diesel on Old Equipment? #10  
I dont oil down my old rusty stuff, rust gives it character, but I suspect that using commercially available spray lubes that all contain petroleum distillates is roughly the same thing as spraying diesel when it comes to contaminates if you let them drip onto the ground, maybe worse as they all contain other chemicals + distilate (mainly diesel type fluid)

Status
Not open for further replies.