Starting on Propane vs. Ether

/ Starting on Propane vs. Ether #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Has anyone tried this?

The reason I asked some use propane to find engine misfiring in gas engines due to sucking air through a defective intake manifold gasket.

/ Starting on Propane vs. Ether #2  
I work on propane forklifts and use ether to start them when I need to.

/ Starting on Propane vs. Ether #3  
Has anyone tried this?

The reason I asked some use propane to find engine misfiring in gas engines due to sucking air through a defective intake manifold gasket.

Carb cleaner works well for this-listen for the RPM change.

/ Starting on Propane vs. Ether
Well I did not get any increase in RPM (missing continued) when placing flowing propane along the intake manifold. For what that was worth I applied propane to the fresh air intake and the engine bogged as the propane seemed to 'flood' the engine.

By working at it we were able to get the engine compartment of the 1998 S10 step side pick-up with 524,000 miles fairly clean of road grit and engine grime. Tonight I picked up enough vacuum hoses to replace the old ones and some had totally failed and they looked to be OEM. Also picked up all parts for a 'complete' tune-up. Not looking forward to the plugs and plug wire part of the job.

Since it was just cutting out at higher RPM (3000) before it developed the PO300 multi misfire error code I am hoping plug wires and plugs gets it to hitting on all cylinders. If not we will dig deeper. So far we are having fun with this project truck.