Antifreee question?

/ Antifreee question? #1  

wraiths

Hey guys I have a question I hope you can answer for me. I bought a Massey ferguson 360 about a month ago and since its starting to get colder here I want to change the antifreeze but after reading here alittle I'm confused. Never had a diesel before and after reading it seems you have to use a certain type of antifreeze and a type of additive and I know nothing about this. Can someone give me straight forward advice about what to use and how to go about it. I dont know if I need the additive or not. Thanks..

/ Antifreee question? #2  
here's the skinny.

on machines that use wet liners, you want to use an antifreeze that has SCA/DCA addatives. IE.. you want cavitation and electrolysis protection. Either can cause pinholes to form in the liners / block. In practice, i even run sca/dca addatives in diesels with dry liners.

You can buy 'fleet precharged' coolant that has these addatives in it.. or you can just buy the plain 'green' stuff at walmart, then buy a bottle of the addatives.

You will want to either get the correct test strips for your addatives, OR mix by volume, based on your machines capacity. IE.. either add the chemical till it is correct strength in your cooling system, or read the directions on volume and concentraion, do shome high school math and know tht you need to add 'x' ounces of addative to 'yy' gallons of coolent to reach 'z' concentration, then check your machine capacity of the cooling system, then solve for X to reach Z

napa sells a coolant add called napa cool # 4056

i believe it is a wix product and napa cool, wix cool, and carquest are all the same add. here is a link to a msds that appears to support that ..

http://www.wixconnect.com/assets/WIXKool MSDS.pdf

I know most ford dealers also sell fw-15 addative.. I believe many NH dealers sell it too. I've no doubt that others do as well.. I am just not familiar witht heir product line.

you can find a DCA 4 addative as DCA65L at many large truck dealers.

International dealers for sure sell sca/dca addatives..

soundguy

/ Antifreee question?
Thanks Soundguy. With the Fleet Guard since its already in it you dont have to worry about having the correct amount in system correct? Does the Fleet Guard with the additive in it also come in the premixed 50/50? Thanks

/ Antifreee question?
Another question I'm thinking about using the NAPA cool additive and was wondering could this be used with a premix 50/50 antifreeze. If so what antifreeze would you recommend? What is the deal with low silicate, is this what i need? Thanks

/ Antifreee question? #5  
pre mix af is just a way to sell you water, and for people who can't read a temperature chart and do the 8th grade math to figure out concentration levels.

whether you use 50/50 pre mix or mix your own, you can use the napa, or other, coolant addative.

the precharged coolant already has the correct level of sca/dca addative in it.

Most precharged you will find as low silicate.

I personally just find a good price on the straight green stuff.. whoever has it on sale.. walmart.. carquest.. etc.. then add my coolant addative.

soundguy

/ Antifreee question? #7  
I spent 40 years doing diesel engines and DCA4 is not a protectant it is a coating no where does it say it protects anything it is complete crap. Look it up.
The only coolants you want to use, is power-cool plus, which is a NOAT product, and Power-cool with is a Nal-cool, Pen-cool product.
I use power cool in all my equipment and know from experience what works.
Class eights come with one of these two products as original equipment.
Just a thought! :thumbsup:

/ Antifreee question? #8  
   / Antifreee question? #9  
That is correct DCA4 is a coating. Even CAT does not recommend using it and they developed the crap, actually if you use it on a new CAT the warranty is denied.
I have done thousands of engines and seen the damage done from using the wrong antifreeze, mixing the wrong additives. Using DCA4 with Power-cool or Power-cool plus destroys the additive package.
The Ford Gold stuff, they have problems with it plugging oil coolers, and eating the front cover, same as DCA4 and green coolant does in the old Cats.
I hate to see equipment destroyed because someone uses bad coolant.
You can use green antifreeze with a Nal-cool additive. That is what was used when it first came out and the difference between the damages from green and DCA4, and green and Nal-cool, was phenomenal.
My wife has a 1993 Caprice and I put in Nal-cool for years it still has the original aluminum radiator. It now has Dex-cool. and I did have to change the intake manifold gaskets.

/ Antifreee question? #10  
In addition to Soundguy's good contributions on the subject, I've always found this post quite informative;
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...77-antifreeze-any-type-ok-10.html#post1816771

Stradbash,

Thanks for showing one of my old posts on the engine coolant topic.

Tractor Supply has a Heavy Duty precharged diesel coolant, "Fleet Charge". You can also get that coolant as a concentrate and mix with an equal volume of water to achieve 50/50 (-34F). You can also go to a CaseIH dealer to a HD precharged diesel coolant. At one time they sold Fleetguard ES Compleat EG concentrate and premix. John Deere now only sells their Cool Guard II which is an OAT coolant. Stay with the conventional HD coolants listed above. If you cooling system is 12 gallons or less, a single pint of supplemental additive is used as the "service" dose. If your use of the tractor will be 500 hours, one pint is sufficient at that interval. You can use Napa product, Wix, Fleetguard, Donaldson. The Fleetguard product is DCA4 liquid. One pint is part number DCA60L. The half gallon is DCA65L. Fleetguard and Fleet Charge are commonly available at heavy truck dealers like International, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Volvo, etc. Shop around as each distribution channel has their own price. It is not set by Fleetguard. Here is a chart for maintaining coolant at a 50/50 premix. I made this chart for my work and give it to customers. Be certain the read the correct freeze point for EG not PG unless you are using PG (propylene glycol) coolant.

Attachments

• 50_50 Coolant Mixing.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 300