AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Guys,

It's time to do the gearbox fluid on my BX2360 and there are a lot of good indications that AMSoil would be an excellent choice.

I"m actually considering switching my truck and car to AMSoil as well and am interested on hearing from others that may be running this oil in their vehicles. I believe both would run a 5W-30 synthetic. Right now I am using Mobil 5W-30 synthetic in our BMW and straight 5W-30 in my truck. The car has 125K on it and the truck 50k. Both motors are in excellent condition.

Why the change? I've been fairly impressed with literature on AMSoil, and have had some great discussions with the local reps.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #2  
Why the change? I've been fairly impressed with literature on AMSoil, and have had some great discussions with the local reps.

You have something that's working well, but you were impressed with literature on AMsoil? Who wrote that literature? And what kind of discussion would you expect from an AMsoil rep?:laughing:

I tried Amsoil hydraulic fluid in my B2710 a few years ago because of the recommendation of some of our members on TBN. I'm quite confident that it's no better, no worse than other brands that could be bought locally. If you can get it cheaper than what you've been using, and you're sure of a readily available supply, I'd say go for it. Otherwise . . . well, it's your money.;)

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks
Ok, opinion noted and good points.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #4  
Guys,

It's time to do the gearbox fluid on my BX2360 and there are a lot of good indications that AMSoil would be an excellent choice.

I"m actually considering switching my truck and car to AMSoil as well and am interested on hearing from others that may be running this oil in their vehicles. I believe both would run a 5W-30 synthetic. Right now I am using Mobil 5W-30 synthetic in our BMW and straight 5W-30 in my truck. The car has 125K on it and the truck 50k. Both motors are in excellent condition.

I bought Amsoil back in 93. Then it was purported to be a 10-15,000 mile oil meaning it would last that long. I also spoke with factory reps I believed the hype and left it in my truck. At the 9000 mile mark, I blew a valve from the excess heat build up caused by insufficient lubrication. I contacted Amsoil and they did not want to hear it saying other factors were the cause even though they had an engine warranty of some type at the time. I was no stranger to engines as I built high performance ones for an additional living. This was definitely a heat related problem. The short of it is: do not leave the synthetics in any longer than your regular dino oil no matter what they say. The oil may still be good but it has picked up too many contaminates by 10,000 miles even if you change the filter. This increases its friction coefficient and thus causing subsequent heat build up.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #5  
I've been using it in about everything for a few years and have good luck. I did a lot of reading before I started using it. A lot of the stuff I read was not from Amsoil, so it was more independant. This is what I got out of a lot of the reading. In certain applications, some oils may be better than others, but as a general rule, Amsoil makes pretty good stuff accross the board.

The reason I'm using it I'm only changing the oil in my vehicles once a year. This is no more than 10,000 miles on my vehicles. I was often going past the recomended 6 month interval anyway so it gives me a little peace of mind. I'm also using their grease for such things like the gearbox on the mower for my Kubota. I'm also using it in my small engines.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with what Arrow says. Whats the point of using syn. oil if you don't extend the changes? If in doubt, send in an oil sample. Amsoil's best oil says a 25,000 mile interval, I won't go that long, but I think 10,000 miles or a little more is in reason.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #6  
Dirty oil is dirty oil, There is NO getting away from that. I dump car oil at 7500miles using Mobil 1 synthtic 5w20. If lots of city driving do it at 5000 miles.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #7  
SN - I don't know what your BX gearbox uses, but one thing I like about the Amsoil gear oil is that you can get a 75W110.

If you have older stuff in use, the present day '110 grade (long story short) is about where the old 90 grade topped out (viscosity wise). This may not be a concern for some people, but it is what I wanted when I did the diff fluid in my old E350 - it matters to me for towing.

Stretching motor oil changes out comes down to mostly 2 things (assuming a good quality oil) - upgraded filtration and getting oil analysis done - extending OCI without both can get expensive.

The only recent valid complaint I know of personally re. Amsoil is with 2 stroke oil - BUT, this was a race application, and not relevant to street use.

Rgds, D.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #8  
I've used Amsoil in the past and found it to be good oil. Used it in an F150 withthe 4.2L V6, and was trying to find an oil with outstanding wear numbers and provided a bump in mileage, all using a 5w-30 grade oil. The only oil that gave me a noticable increase in mileage was Mobil 1, but wear was up slightly over other oils (Royal Purple, Castrol 0w-30[German], conventional oils: Penzoil, Valvoline and Motorcraft). The best wear numbers came from the Motorcraft oil. Amsoil had low wear numbers, but nothing special for mileage. All oil was tested at drain intervals of 5000 miles. I was pretty diligent over the four years to doucment to the OCI, driving conditions and temperature conditions, but sometimes they did not match, so my data is not perfect.

The Amsoil, Royal Purple an Mobil 1 all seemed to reduce the cold start piston slap noise. But this is mostly subjective and in this truck, weather dependant.

In my opinion its a great oil, but nothing exceptionally better than the top teir synthetics and only marginally better than top teir conventional oils.

If you are able to get Amsoil at a reasonable price in comparision to retail stores, I say have at it. If you have to pay a significant premium, than there are plenty of oils out there that will do just as well for your equipment.

BTW - Since modern oils have been getting so much better over the last 20 years or so, I have long since dropped this as an obscession. I service all of my equipment regularly with high quality products and pay attention to all wear items including fluids and greases. My current truck (a GMC) has 178K miles and is running beautifully. With this truck I have been using a combination of brands of fluids (mostly synthetics, but not always), usually whatever I can find at a good price and whatever I'm "feeling" that day. Clean, cool and reasonable fresh fluids are really the ticket.

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #9  
Guys,

The brief time that I used amsoil, i could not prove it was any better than Mobil1... So to me it would be an availability thing and as always Price? If you had used conventional oil for 125k, I would say procede with caution on going to synthetic engine oils..So far no-one has Proved that one brand is especially perfect for everyone, hence many brands and various weights?

/ AMSoil Experiences with Cars & Trucks #10  
It always seems like everyone complains about AMSOIL. Maybe its because they are a small (compared to the likes of Mobil) company located in Wisconsin or maybe its because they won't sell their products in discount stores, who knows. I happen to be a loyal AMSOIL customer and dealer for over 30 yrs. I really couldn't care less what oil people use.

People make all kinds of claims that can not be substantiated often because they are a fabrication or at best a misrepresentation of the true facts.

There are those who will always be solely concerned with how much something costs and never consider the value. Just because something is cheaper does not mean it has value. Oil is not just oil. There is a difference in high-performance oils and the oils that just meet the minimum industry requirements. Oils in the marketplace only have to meet minimum performance levels set by API. All major synthetic brands are not the same; you can expect formulations to differ from one to another.

About the Company

Currently use it in the following vehicles.

2010 GMC Sierra SLT ECSB 4x4 Z71 All Terrain
2010 John Deere X728SE
2009 Cadillac CTS4 AWD Performance Sedan
2006 Honda 680 Rincon ATV
Husqvarna/Honda motor weed-wacker/power broom
Honda Lawn Mower
B&S Power Washer
Honda Generator