K&N oil filter and air filter ???

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #1  

bx2670

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Bx 2670
Has anyone ever used a K&N oil or air filter on there bx's if so I have a bx 2360 and was wondering what the part #'s were? I have used their oil and air filters for years on many autos and trucks the thing I like about air filters you wash them out ,reoil and put back in till next time to clean.

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #2  
The oil filters I'm not sure about.
On other diesel forums, I've seen it strongly recommended against using K&N air filters. Especially for turbo diesels. Supposedly the flow is a little too unrestricted, letting in bigger particles than other filters. The other argument is that the repeated washing/oiling of the gauze opens them up over time to let even more particles in. A lot of folks think that the filtration is better with paper. Then just chuck them when they're done.
I heard this from several folks after I'd already installed a K&N kit on my Ford Powerstroke. So I simply kept the hardware in place and replaced the filter element with a Donaldson water resistant model.
But if the other forum is any indication, they'll be plenty of point/counterpoint here just like there is on the Oil & Lubricant forum here.

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #3  
Glad you brought that up. I had been considering putting a K&N air filter on my 184-4 Massey diesel. Thanks for the info. :)
Denny

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #4  
A Paper filter is far superior in protection.

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #5  
I have the air filters or a copy on all my vehicles since about 2000. No issues but on my tractors I just use the paper filters. Just too dusty for anything else in my opinion.

Chris

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #6  
I would use WIX oil filters as they are just as good as K&N oil filters. Also, it looks like K&N does not make an air filter for your tractor model. I looked up your model tractor on WIX website which is part number 46449, crossed it on K&N site, there is no available K&N part number.

FYI - I use K&N air filters in my car, New Holland Boomer 3040 tractor and Scag Tiger Cat ZTR. Never had any issues with the filters. The car filters have to be re-oiled, however, K&N makes two newer filters for the Donaldson airboxes which are hybrid filters that just need to be washed and not re-oiled. I look at it simply as if these air filters did not work, then K&N would not be able to sell the filters and stay in business. As for turbo diesel engines, I have no idea about that as I only used this K&N filter in a naturally aspirated diesel engine.

News Story - Two K&N Replacement Air Filters For Small Industrial Engines Released
Cleaning Instructions - http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/11821_inst.pdf

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #7  
I had a K&N air filter on my previous truck. It made a noticeable seat of the pants improvement in power (despite people saying it woouldn't). However I routinely found a light coating of dust downstream of the filter, in the intake tube. Interestingly, the oil analysis never indicated an elevated amount of silicone, which would be the primary indicator of a failing air filter, so the dust was not really affecting anything. I was also prone to over oiling the gauze, so I had to clean the MAF sensor often. But that truck went 120K miles with the K&N in place for nearly the whole time, without any engine related issues.

I don't have a K&N air filter for my current ride, but I do routinely use the K&N oil filters. The canisters are made of a heavier gauge metal and they have a nut on the bottom for easy removal. Its nice because the GM LS motors have the filter tucked up near the oil pan, making access tight. I have no personal data on the filtering capability, but I would bet its better that the cheaper units and at least as good as the "extended mileage" filters.

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #8  
I too read years ago about dusting issues with K&N filters. I have never used their products and here is my reasoning.

What is it that makes K&N better than Ford or JD air or oil filters? I have no idea.

Have I ever heard of a problem with Ford or JD air or oil filters. No.

Have I had a problem with these filters. No.

Have I heard of issues with K&N air filters? Yes.

WHY do I want to spend time oiling a filter?

Why change?

For oil filters, I have been using JD ones for years on both the tractor and truck. The truck filters are Fleetguard and look/feel just like the Ford and other brand oil filters I have used with the exception of Mobil. I have never seen a difference in a UOA that tells me one filter is better than the other.

Oddly enough but good for me, my JD dealer stocks oil and fuel filters for my Ford. If I do not have what I need on the shelf, I can send them an email on a Monday and get the filters by Tuesday or Wednesday. The price will be cheaper than what I pay at the local parts store IF the local stores have the filters in stock. So many times I have had to go to multiple stores to get a oil filter.

I have not changed the air filters in a while in both truck and tractor. The air restriction gauge has not changed so I have just left the filters alone. No difference in performance or UOAs.

Later,
Dan

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #9  
I installed a K&N air filter in my 89 7.3L with around 130,000 miles. This was sometime between 2000 and 2003. I did notice both an increse in power and mileage. But, my silicone number were through the roof on my 1st oil sample. So, I measured the height against the OEM, and it was the same. Cleaned, re-oiled, and changed the engine oil & filter. Pulled another sample at 2000 miles, and silicone was again super high. I went back to my OEM, changed engine oil and filter, sampled again and the silicone number was back to normal.

So, I'll never use a K&N again.

/ K&N oil filter and air filter ??? #10  
I installed a K&N air filter in my 89 7.3L with around 130,000 miles. This was sometime between 2000 and 2003. I did notice both an increse in power and mileage. But, my silicone number were through the roof on my 1st oil sample. So, I measured the height against the OEM, and it was the same. Cleaned, re-oiled, and changed the engine oil & filter. Pulled another sample at 2000 miles, and silicone was again super high. I went back to my OEM, changed engine oil and filter, sampled again and the silicone number was back to normal.

So, I'll never use a K&N again.

Did you over oil the filter? I only use K&N in my bikes for the last 20 years and work just fine. I know I use Amsoil foam airfilters (back in the day) and silicone where high from over using too much oil.

I now use Amsoil EaA air filters and so far UOA's are fine.

But the Powerchokes (and prior) are not easy on oil.