3 diesel choices at local station

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
My local BP has 3 choices, off road, winterized and what is probably just regular diesel but they labeled it "premium".

Tractor is a zebra zetor, around 30hp I believe.

What do I go with?

If I use the winterized should I not use the power service additive? I'm guessing the off road with the power service stuff in the winter would be my best option. I'm not familiar enough with it all to know what makes it off road but I'd assume the epa left the stuff in that's good for my engine.

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #2  
Off road or farm fuel is nothing more than fuel that has a red dye in it. The reason for this is as a non-road use fuel its not taxed like road use fuel is and if you are caught running red fuel in a licenced road vehicle its a hefty fine.
Winterized fuel is generally #1 diesel which has been refined more. "regular" diesel fuel is generally rated as #2.
Check your tractor manual or follow advice from your dealer though generally speaking you should have no problems with running #2 road fuel or farm fuel.
With the advent of the utra low sulfer fuels you may need some fuel additives though.

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #4  
The only difference between off road and regular diesel should be the price. Off road should be a lot less because of the taxes. You need additive in the winter if its not already treated. It doesnt cost much and why take a chance of gelling? I pump heating oil right out of my house tank and then add power service. Tractor is 12 years old, 1100 hours service and runs great. Why pay the road tax if you dont have to?

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #5  
My local BP has 3 choices, off road, winterized and what is probably just regular diesel but they labeled it "premium".

Tractor is a zebra zetor, around 30hp I believe.

What do I go with?

If I use the winterized should I not use the power service additive? I'm guessing the off road with the power service stuff in the winter would be my best option. I'm not familiar enough with it all to know what makes it off road but I'd assume the epa left the stuff in that's good for my engine.

You ought to verify the premium. BP has a fuel called "premier". Great stuff and has all the additives, high cetane etc.

It is no longer available in our area so they sell premium which is regular diesel with some additives but not the true refined product of the premier.

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #6  
I use off-road (OR) diesel and add the PS(white) additive until the temps stay below 10F than I mix 1/2 OR & 1/2 #1 Diesel + PS(white).

DEWFPO

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #7  
#1 diesel (heating fuel) has a higher cetane rating and you get a slight HP increase using it. Beware it has less luricating value so not sure what additives to use or whether that takes back the improvement. Many years ago, before low sulphur, we used #1 for stationary engines straight out of the tank due to the HP increase and cost. Were talking 2-3K HP so it was significant. Some states may tax heating fuel less than on-road or off-road fuel. Might be worth checking into if you use large qtys.

Ron

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #8  
I use the white bottle Power Service all year round.
I don't know where you're located or what you have for winter climate, but to be on the safe side I added Power Service 911 to my tractor fuel as well as to the tanks of a '97 Ford Powerstroke that sits outside all winter and doesn't get driven on the crappy roads.
So far, with some below zero and single digit temps, everything is working fine. After plugging in for a few hours, the truck took off like summer after sitting for well over a month. The tractor sits in an unheated steel building and starts with just the usual few seconds of glowing.

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #9  
#1 diesel (heating fuel) has a higher cetane rating and you get a slight HP increase using it. Beware it has less luricating value so not sure what additives to use or whether that takes back the improvement. Many years ago, before low sulphur, we used #1 for stationary engines straight out of the tank due to the HP increase and cost. Were talking 2-3K HP so it was significant. Some states may tax heating fuel less than on-road or off-road fuel. Might be worth checking into if you use large qtys.

Ron
#1 diesel has the parafins removed to prevent gelling and as a result it has a lower heating value so you get less energy per gallon and higher BSFC's. I believe it also has lower lubricity.

/ 3 diesel choices at local station #10  
Off road or farm fuel is nothing more than fuel that has a red dye in it. The reason for this is as a non-road use fuel its not taxed like road use fuel is and if you are caught running red fuel in a licenced road vehicle its a hefty fine.
Winterized fuel is generally #1 diesel which has been refined more. "regular" diesel fuel is generally rated as #2.
Check your tractor manual or follow advice from your dealer though generally speaking you should have no problems with running #2 road fuel or farm fuel.
With the advent of the utra low sulfer fuels you may need some fuel additives though.

Winterized is just treated number 2 here.