New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help!

/ New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help! #1  

joesco

Silver Member
Hello All,
I want to modify my 82 Ford 545 62HP Industrial Loader Diesel Fuel Filter system which currently uses the OEM twin fuel filters / water separator with a more modern single Racor 445R Filter Assembly with a primer button. I will need to re-route / replace the OEM Steel Fuel Lines to accommodate the new Filter Head Assembly. Can I use rubber diesel fuel lines with hose clamps / fittings in place of the original steel fuel lines? Thanks!

Attachments

• Racor 445R Filter.jpg
    Racor 445R Filter.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 296
   / New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help! #2  
Me, personally I like the Racor units and their waterstopping element and sediment bowl. Cannot answer about the steel lines. Mine was hooked up just ahead of the fuel pump on my truck. I was protecting the expensive oem filters on it, so I had rubber line leading and leaving it. My Kubota has a inline MB fuel filter ahead of it's fuel filter to stop all trash. I need to buy the small racor fuel unit for it as space is limited and it will be outside of engine compartment.Maybe someone else knows if your line are hi-pressure. You might try using racor website and asking them directly. JY.

/ New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help!
JY,
Thanks very much, did not think of that. Just called Racor tech support, 209-521-7860, top notch! 3/8 ntp fittings with hose barbs, s/s clamps and a diesel fuel rated hose will work fine.

Me, personally I like the Racor units and their waterstopping element and sediment bowl. Cannot answer about the steel lines. Mine was hooked up just ahead of the fuel pump on my truck. I was protecting the expensive oem filters on it, so I had rubber line leading and leaving it. My Kubota has a inline MB fuel filter ahead of it's fuel filter to stop all trash. I need to buy the small racor fuel unit for it as space is limited and it will be outside of engine compartment.Maybe someone else knows if your line are hi-pressure. You might try using racor website and asking them directly. JY.

/ New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help! #4  
Good deal, I am sure you will like the Racor, I used mine for years, until accident broke the bottom fuel bowl. I like the way it turbines the fuel around and pulls water and trash to bottom to be drained. No water ever made it to the other filters and save me a ton of money not replacing them.Their element is superior to most others in stopping water. They sell millions of units for boats and big-rigs.. Now i need to get off wallet, order, and put one on my Bota...

JY,
Elimination of water and moisture from the diesel fuel will sure help during the NH Winter plowing season. Just a bit of water or moisture seems to gel my fuel (PRI-D and 10% kero added) once we go below 10 degrees. BTW, I got mine on Amazon for $132.50 shipped! Thanks again!

The new Racor filter head assembly arrived today and I spent some time to figure out how to plumb it in. I am in a bit of a quandary, the OEM Lucas Dual Filter assembly is set up like so..

Fuel in ----> |Existing Filter Head|-->To IP? (return???)
Inlet not used ----> | |-->To IP

Fuel line configuration (directional flow) of the new Racor Head

<--- |Racor Filter Head|--->
---> | |<---

As you can see the configuration on the filter head is different and the direction of the flows on both sides. Any ideas on how to install this filter setup to replace the Lucas Dual Head OEM Setup? Thanks!

/ New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help! #7  
Is it possible to post photos of the two units? I know i saw a primer pump on the new one..

/ New Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Install Help! #8  
The new Racor filter head assembly arrived today and I spent some time to figure out how to plumb it in. I am in a bit of a quandary, the OEM Lucas Dual Filter assembly is set up like so..

Fuel in ----> |Existing Filter Head|-->To IP? (return???)
Inlet not used ----> | |-->To IP

Fuel line configuration (directional flow) of the new Racor Head

<--- |Racor Filter Head|--->
---> | |<---

As you can see the configuration on the filter head is different and the direction of the flows on both sides. Any ideas on how to install this filter setup to replace the Lucas Dual Head OEM Setup? Thanks!

You plug the two ports you are not using and continue the install from what I remember of these units as it allows a second unti to be installed for continuos operation on stationary engines for filter changes.