Off road no longer available at the pump.

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #21  
Off-road is available in Colorado.

As for Illinois, now you know how Oscama is partially funding his re-election campaign. :laughing:

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #22  
Well we still definitely sell it at the refinery where I work. I will tell you it is the IRS (as in federal) that comes in and checks our records, or at least they did when the red dye was hand added to the fuel. When our loading facility was up-graded a few years back, an automatic system was installed for injecting the red dye into ULSD sold as off-road.

I was about to comment but you already did. No matter what state you buy it in, it's still ULSD, colored red to denote no highway use tax paid.....

No matter what color, it's all ULSD and has been for some time and why it's to your advantage to use a lubricant in a mechanically injected engine.

I use CAT additive myself but anything specifically formulated for mechanical injection pumps works....

/ Off road no longer available at the pump.
There's an IL congressman from southern IL who has introduced a bill to secede from Chicago/Cook County...
I'd say he has the right idea...that, or disestablish Chicago as a city.

Ive heard of this. I for one would support this. it seems as though the 5 million or so people of cook county benefit much more from all the states budgets and other programs than the other 7 million of the rest of the state. I don't like how it is but right now I don't have many other options for employment so I am where I am for the time being.

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #24  
icon1.gif
Re: Off road no longer available at the pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treman
My coworker went to fill our 100 gal tank today and was informed that he would have to buy on road fuel as it was no longer legal in Illinois to sell off road fuel.

Why would it be illegal ?
Is it also illegal to use it. ?
If you go out of state to get it are they going to charge you with illegal possession ?
South of Canton Ohio L .B

No problem in Wisconsin. Illinois is a good place to be FROM....
YEAH far from !
1*an automatic system was installed for injecting the red dye into ULSD sold as off-road.
1*This proves that on road and off road is the same thing.

2*It's somewhat ridiculous as once the delivery charges are added you can go to the pump and just buy regular diesel for the same price.
2*Boy that makes no sense at all .
3*I was about to comment but you already did. No matter what state you buy it in, it's still ULSD, colored red to denote no highway use tax paid....No matter what color, it's all ULSD and has been for some time
3*So there is only 1 fuel ; I've been rite all along .

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #25  
I was about to comment but you already did. No matter what state you buy it in, it's still ULSD, colored red to denote no highway use tax paid.....

No matter what color, it's all ULSD and has been for some time and why it's to your advantage to use a lubricant in a mechanically injected engine.

I use CAT additive myself but anything specifically formulated for mechanical injection pumps works....
We do add a lubricity additive to all ULSD and we sell a "premium" product known as All Weather Diesel Supreme which gets an additional lubricity, an all-purpose and a cold pour additive. ULSD actually comes off the hydro-treater with a fairly low pour point, but I have heard it said by chemists that ULSD is more a solvent than a distillate.

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #26  
In my area of Illinois, you have never been able to buy off road diesel at the pump. You can get off road diesel at the local farm supply place, but you either have to have it delivered, or have a larger tank, won't just fill up 5 gallon containers.

BTW I grew up in St. Charles Illinois

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #27  
I hated it also when they removed the sulphur from fuel, removing cylinder heads to do valve jobs was easy money, replacing turbo`s when chunks of sulphur broke loose, easy money.
If you see a train, with bright yellow pellets in the hoppers that is the sulphur.
Putting in additives in the Fuel, they have been around for years, they always find a reason you should use them.
I worked on engines Class Eights all my life and never once had a customer bring any equipment in and tell us they used an aditive not once.
There is a lubrication study out there thedieselgarage.com site 2% bio is the best there is. Better than every aditive, many additives were worse that just diesel, they are still available and advertised.
Please google the diesel lubricity survey, and save your money.
Just a thought!

In my area of Illinois, you have never been able to buy off road diesel at the pump. You can get off road diesel at the local farm supply place, but you either have to have it delivered, or have a larger tank, won't just fill up 5 gallon containers.

BTW I grew up in St. Charles Illinois

Dodge Man,
The fuel supplier That we use has an above ground tank full of off-road. basically you could go and fill whatever you wanted 100, 50, 30 or even a 5 gal. can. What I understood it as was that they are only allowed to deliver off road fuel. You can no longer come to fill your tank at thier place of business. They MUST deliver it to you at your place of business or home, thats it. no other way to get it. I suppose "at the pump" may have been a poor choice of words but was what I am used to when we go to fill up our portable tanks.

Funny you mention that you grew up in St. Charles. I work in Batavia and live outside of Sugar Grove. My family also owns a chunk of land that we have hunted for years in Fulton county. love it down there. I think I would live there if I could find work.

LBrown59-

Off road is legal. They have simply made it so that It must be delivered. which is why I had said that It would then be the same price to go to the local station and buy the regular on-road taxed fuel than to buy the off-road non taxed fuel and pay for the delivery. hope that clears up any confusion with the misquote.

/ Off road no longer available at the pump. #30  
I hated it also when they removed the sulphur from fuel, removing cylinder heads to do valve jobs was easy money, replacing turbo`s when chunks of sulphur broke loose, easy money.
If you see a train, with bright yellow pellets in the hoppers that is the sulphur.
Putting in additives in the Fuel, they have been around for years, they always find a reason you should use them.
I worked on engines Class Eights all my life and never once had a customer bring any equipment in and tell us they used an aditive not once.
There is a lubrication study out there thedieselgarage.com site 2% bio is the best there is. Better than every aditive, many additives were worse that just diesel, they are still available and advertised.
Please google the diesel lubricity survey, and save your money.
Just a thought!

Bio works fine if your use frequency is high to moderate, however, if you let bio sit in your tank or storage tank, you must add a bio-cide to the fuel or the soybean oil grows microorganisms that clog the fuel filters and other unpleasant things. I know first hand. Been there. Nothing better than a fuel filter clogged with slimy red algae.