When do you use the block heater on the tractor

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #11  
Okay I own three diesel vehicles, car, truck and now a tractor. I never plug in the car and truck unless it is below -19 C -2.2 F. My tractor really sputters on start up at a couple of degrees below freezing and was wondering what the collective wisdom is on when to plug it in. I let them all warm up before use, lol.

Thanks

A lot depends on the individual engine. Our Ford 4610 and the NH are plugged in for two hours when ever the low temperatures are consistently below 40F. The NH TD95D is used for winter feeding and it's on a timer that turns it on two hours before I feed. I don't bother looking at the daily temperature for the NH because our temperatures can vary from -20F to > 50F during the winter. Leaving the block heater on for more than 2 hrs doesn't seem to make any difference in the coolant temperatures so I never leave ours on any longer than two hours.
Cold starting is the Achilles heel for diesels and I strongly believe that using a block heater saves a lot of wear and tear on the engine. the starter, and the battery. Our heaters are 0 .5 and 0.75 killowatt so if I ran them both for two hours a day it would cost ~$0.18 per day or about $5.25/ month. The added benfit is the NH cab warms up pretty quick when i have to feed.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #12  
   / When do you use the block heater on the tractor
FYI X10 has quit manufacturing.

The End of X10 - CE Pro Article from CE Pro

This video shows how X10 works and is pretty funny.

Big Bang Theory (X10 Scene) - YouTube

I have a box of the stuff but never got around to using it however there seems to be a lot of if still around.

X10.com - Security Cameras, X10 Home Security, Wireless Camera, Home Automation, Electronics and More!
X10 Automation
"x10" - Smarthome

I could go on with links but...... it does have it's limitations it is especially weak to being hacked if used for security which was my original intention at getting involved with it, also ghost signals and such. I agree though there are easier alternatives for remote starting.

x10 is a method of communicating not just a web site. You have found that x10.com, a site, has shut down?

Wait:

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Still works?

The actual communication protocol being used by several different manufacturers is still in play.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #15  
Okay I own three diesel vehicles, car, truck and now a tractor. I never plug in the car and truck unless it is below -19 C -2.2 F. My tractor really sputters on start up at a couple of degrees below freezing and was wondering what the collective wisdom is on when to plug it in. I let them all warm up before use, lol.

Thanks
No where in the operators manual does it say to start a cold engine and let have an extended run at no load .The engine never warms up or slowly warms up which wears cylinder walls and rings will lube oil diluted un- burned fuel. The proper way is to plug in the block heater and start the engine with minimal wear on the starter,battery and charging system. Then as soon as lube oil has reached moving parts. Operate the machine at reduced loads until warmed to operating temp.

No where in the operators manual does it say to start a cold engine and let have an extended run at no load .The engine never warms up or slowly warms up which wears cylinder walls and rings will lube oil diluted un- burned fuel. The proper way is to plug in the block heater and start the engine with minimal wear on the starter,battery and charging system. Then as soon as lube oil has reached moving parts. Operate the machine at reduced loads until warmed to operating temp.

Don't get too excited I am too impatient to let it warm up more then a wee bit, lol. I just don't want it to start the car when it sound like a cement mixer lol.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #17  
On a truck, it sure is nice when the heater works faster or a cab tractor as well.

Not to mention it starts quicker.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #18  
A few times I have used a small space heater on the block heater remote control so that my cab is nice and comfy when I get in.

I think we drivers need pampering just as much as our engines.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #19  
I plug in my diesel truck every night, because I might get a call at 1am. I prefer it start. I only idle it a couple minutes. My little tractors I don't plug in at all unless they don't start, then 20 minutes usually does it. My Zetor has never been plugged in, and always starts. My case on the other hand, the FIL has ethered the living crap out of it, and even plugging it in over night, he still ethers it.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #20  
Seems like every winter a new thread begins on this topic. For my older Kubota B8200, having a block heater makes cold starting SOOO much easier whenever temps drop below 35 or so. It's stored in an unheated barn, and about 20 minutes seems to be enough for the engine to turn over nicely and fire right up. I should add that I run 5-40w synthetic oil. I was always told not to have extended warm ups, once the oil is circulating, but not to work anything hard, either, until the equipment is up to operating temperature. Cold slow idle produces lots of incomplete combustion crap, even unburned fuel bypass, or so I was told. I just read that the new Lamborgini Aventadors are set up to idle at 3400 rpm after startup, which makes for great sounds, but drives engine guys nuts because of the perceived abuse? Not the same as our diesel tractors, I know.