Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    1026R

Default Re: When do you use the block heater on the tractor

The general recommendation up here is to plug in at 20F or less. This reduces wear & tear at start up.

I have a heavy duty timer hardwired that allows me to select when I want to have our block heaters start up, generally 1-2hours prior to when I expect use.

I don't always adhere to the 20F or less recommendation, probably closer to between 0-10F.

Makes a big difference IMO, and especially with a larger engine, or anything with a large volume of fluid (HST)

Tractor
    New Holland 3045/2010

Quote Originally Posted by rockshaft View Post
    The general recommendation up here is to plug in at 20F or less. This reduces wear & tear at start up.

I have a heavy duty timer hardwired that allows me to select when I want to have our block heaters start up, generally 1-2hours prior to when I expect use.

I don't always adhere to the 20F or less recommendation, probably closer to between 0-10F.

Makes a big difference IMO, and especially with a larger engine, or anything with a large volume of fluid (HST)
    Pretty much the way I go. My barn is quite a distance from the house and I am only using it for snow blowing so a timer would not work for me it is a walk down and plug in lol I like the idea of a long distance remote. I have turned into a lazy guy it seems.
    “If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average.”
    M. H. Alderson

Tractor
    1026R

Since our primary use for block heaters is for our commuter car in the carport- it comes in really handy to have the timer. The timer is mounted inside my shop, but I could have just as easily wired it inside our house.

The remote starters are nice, but in this case- we'd have to be up at 4-5am to make them useful.

I have thought about a keyless remote for my generator, but we lose power so infrequently I doubt its worth the money.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

for me with elect running $0.05/1000 watts, plugging in a 250 watt block heater for 2 hours a day on a timer, even if i end up not using the tractor amounts to $0.75/month in electrical expense. so its not worth damaging or potentially damaging my trucks or tractor for that small of a cost. and i only plug it in if it's in the 20F or lower.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota R510, JD 6200, JD 770, Cushman 6150, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Steiner 430 Max w Kubota Gas, Kawasaki Diesel Mule

I have made up several gizmos that I feel are the answer. They are a simple little timer motor with cam acting on a microswitch. I installed a two position switch that allows me to select (in this case) ten minutes on, ten minutes off, or the other way around.

It's ultra simple (no freaking electronics to screw up from a "SURGE" or whatever, usually meaning it was poor quality!) and allows you to put a piece of equipment in a standby mode, without worrying about heating the great outdoors.

You need to let the equipment idle anyway, to get hydraulics and transmissions warmed up, so as long as the machine starts easily, no point making the engine really hot.

Another option I have used, is to get one of those timers that has pins every fifteen minutes around the dial, and then alternate them. But being the typical consumer garbage of today, I am not sure how long this would last.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

Anything near or below freezing.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4310

Typically plug a kubota L4310 HST in when temps go below 10 deg. and snow is forecast.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere, several

40F and lower. If it's takes extra turns to start and runs rough. It needed pre-heating.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    1878 Ford 65N

I always plug in anywhere near or below freezing. Sure the engine will start at many temps but the engine damage done during a cold start is phenomenal. I worked with many airplane engines and without warm starts during the winters the engines lasted to about 2000 hrs. With oil heat pads on them they lasted for over 3000 hrs.

Well worth it and saves huge engine wear.

Tractor
    New Holland 3045/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Canada_CT230 View Post
    I always plug in anywhere near or below freezing. Sure the engine will start at many temps but the engine damage done during a cold start is phenomenal. I worked with many airplane engines and without warm starts during the winters the engines lasted to about 2000 hrs. With oil heat pads on them they lasted for over 3000 hrs.

Well worth it and saves huge engine wear.
    I like this answer Ok block heater when cold, which according to this thread is relative
    “If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average.”
    M. H. Alderson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast