When do you use the block heater on the tractor

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #31  
Does a block heater heat the oil in a HST too? Or what would i need?

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #32  
What type of heater does evryone use? I had a in line heater on the bottom radiator hose, but am thinking of a oil heated dipstick. The reason being I had to replace my radiator and the new one wouldnt allow for the adding of the heater the hose is too short.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #33  
OrangeToys said:
Does a block heater heat the oil in a HST too? Or what would i need?

You can attach a magnetic block heater(s) anywhere it will stick. Not as good as a real block heater, but much more versatile.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #34  
If I have a routine such as going to work and the temp is 30 deg or so I will have my timer go on 1 hour before I need to go to work. My diesels start good but the 1 hour warm-up is much easier on the engine, starter & battery, it also gives me heat as soon as I start for defrosting the windows. In extreme cold I will preheat 3, 4 or more hours and run out to start it and set a high idle so the windows are defrosted when I need to leave.
I have found that if I leave the heater controls in defrost convection will circulate air through the warm heater core to partially defrost the window.
The tractor is different with no schedule but if I know I知 going to need the tractor for snow removal I will plug it in or put it on a timer also.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #35  
I only got my CK30H in 2005, but up till then it got cold (zero or minus 2 F) here in NW VA.

I put in a lower radiator hose heater from Tractor Supply and used it several times.

Around that time, it started getting warmer around here, now it hardly ever goesbelow 20F and usually not that. I haven't used the heater for 3 or 4 years.

Mike

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #36  
I never use a block heater on my tractor here in NC...
We only get a month of cold weather and the few times it does get in the teens the tractor is in the shed...
I do have a factory installed block heater on my Powerstroke and I do use it some in the winter when it is around freezing...
The block heater I have heats the water with a 1500 watt element...
I think that the stated time for getting the water up to a good starting temperature is around 2 hours or so...
I went to Lowes and purchased an outdoor timer set to come on about two hours before I typically leave in the winter to preheat my coolant...
It works really well but I have to reset the timer in it every winter...

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #37  
My old JD 855 stays in the garage. I use the block heater any time there is frost on the pickup windows............

I use a programmable timer to run for 2 hours before the usual time I get out to use the tractor.

Good luck

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #38  
on the RTV we use the glued on electrical pads to the engine sump and the Transmission oil sump

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #39  
What type of heater does evryone use? I had a in line heater on the bottom radiator hose, but am thinking of a oil heated dipstick. The reason being I had to replace my radiator and the new one wouldnt allow for the adding of the heater the hose is too short.

A heated dip stick is of little use unless the engine is small and kept indoors out of the wind. The small surface area of a dipstick limits the max watts that can be used without charring the oil.
Use a real synthetic, not a treated mineral motor oil. And a proper water jacket heater.
We use the heaters " even if the engine will start" without pre-heating.
The warmed engine reduces starter , battery and charging system wear. Reduces engine wear and doesn't waste fuel idling to warm up. Instant heat on the window defroster too for safety and drivability.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #40  

A heated dip stick is of little use unless the engine is small and kept indoors out of the wind. The small surface area of a dipstick limits the max watts that can be used without charring the oil.
Use a real synthetic, not a treated mineral motor oil. And a proper water jacket heater.
We use the heaters " even if the engine will start" without pre-heating.
The warmed engine reduces starter , battery and charging system wear. Reduces engine wear and doesn't waste fuel idling to warm up. Instant heat on the window defroster too for safety and drivability.