When do you use the block heater on the tractor

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #1  

bironacad

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 3045/2010
Okay I own three diesel vehicles, car, truck and now a tractor. I never plug in the car and truck unless it is below -19 C -2.2 F. My tractor really sputters on start up at a couple of degrees below freezing and was wondering what the collective wisdom is on when to plug it in. I let them all warm up before use, lol.

Thanks

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #2  
In the winter I'll use the block heater (& hydraulic heater) whenever I'm going to use my CUT which is stored in my unheated garage. I plug it in an hour before using. I don't have heaters in my (Diesel) cars but if I did I would use them. Located in central Minnesota.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor
In the winter I'll use the block heater (& hydraulic heater) whenever I'm going to use my CUT which is stored in my unheated garage. I plug it in an hour before using. I don't have heaters in my (Diesel) cars but if I did I would use them. Located in central Minnesota.

I have plugged it in but not always you do it as a matter of course?

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #4  
I plug in equipment if at all posible, I do it like stated just an hour, unless it is below 0F then maybe more it is a lot cheaper to warm it with electricity than fuel and the engine wear is greatly reduced.
I am not a believer in long idle periods, 5 minutes at most then just use it gently, till the coolant gauge starts moving or it is above 100F.

Attachments

• 320654.jpg
    320654.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 334
   / When do you use the block heater on the tractor #6  
anyone use remote switching
http://www.tscstores.com/TIMER-3-OUTLT-OUTDR-W-REMOTE-P17002.aspx

My problem is that my barn/garage is maybe 700' away, yes I am looking for the easier softer way. I would use x-10 but it has been known to do strange things on power outages and such.

I use something similar but only has one outlet that is a heavy duty version designed to light up christmas displays. Works very well. I am only around 50 feet from that tractor garage and I also put a two way splitter with an outside light so when I turn on the block heater the outside light also lights (letting me know the on command was received and it is powered on). I also run mine for one to two hours and only in the winter months when it is below 30 degrees.

I actually start the tractorafter the hour or two with the block heater still on to aid in warming. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, unplug the heater and then slowly work the tractor to heat the hydraulic oil and drivetrain.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #7  
My heaters are on a timer that runs 2 hours prior to the times i generally use my tractor. And its only plugged in when temps can reach below 30 at night.

Right now im not needing tractor for snow work, so it hasnt been plugged in for past 3-4 weeks.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #8  
bironacad said:
I have plugged it in but not always you do it as a matter of course?

Yes. But like Johnp33, I'm not a believer in long idle times, maybe a minute no matter the temperature with my tractor. With my Diesel cars if it is shirtsleeve weather, no warmup. At freezing, about 30 seconds which is the length of time it takes me to buckle my seat belt, adjust the mirror, turn on the radio, etc. At 0F, I'll idle a minute and drive off slowly. At -40 I'll idle the cars for several minutes My two cars (VW's) have computers that let the engine run at higher RPM's by 'slipping' (for lack of a better word) the transmission when it is cold. I'm a so-called 'hypermiler' so I take it easy anyway.

/ When do you use the block heater on the tractor #9  
Shop is heated, but always let her idle for 5 minutes before any throttle. But John Deere says any temps below 10f should have a block heater.

Shop is heated, but always let her idle for 5 minutes before any throttle. But John Deere says any temps below 10f should have a block heater.

I plug it in a little before it gets to 10F -12 C

I use something similar but only has one outlet that is a heavy duty version designed to light up christmas displays. Works very well. I am only around 50 feet from that tractor garage and I also put a two way splitter with an outside light so when I turn on the block heater the outside light also lights (letting me know the on command was received and it is powered on).

The light idea is good it lets you know if you forgot to turn it off too.