Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Last night I went over to my step mom's to unbox and set up her new push mower, and along with the new mower she decided to buy a new 5 gallon gas can. She asked if I could figure out how the new "spill-proof" spout worked, I had never seen one before as all my cans use the older type of spout.

Once I figured out how the new type worked, I started laughing because the design is so stupid. How long will those spouts last when you have to press them against the gas tank filler opening the whole time you are fueling? Cheap, flimsy, Mickey Mouse s*** !!!

My solution was to drill a hole in the spout after compressing the spring and then use a long aluminum 1/8" pop rivet to secure the spout so it would stay open, then cut off the plastic tip with the O-ring. Since I obviously did something illegal, feel free to report me to the EPA. :laughing:

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #2  
Spill proof....Yeah right!! I have 4 of them and they are a joke. I think it is a way to price gas cans as expensive as the fuel we put in them.

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #3  
I tend to carefully remove the spout and pour, sometimes I use a funnel. I undoubtedly have spilled gallons.

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #4  
I still have some old ones. I hate these new "safety" cans. The best kind had a normal spout and the little flip vent on the other side. Simple and it worked, guess that's why it need to change. Can't wait till the government gets into health care and redesigns all the surgical equipment so they are "safer" too

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #5  
How long will those spouts last when you have to press them against the gas tank filler opening the whole time you are fueling?

Is there a new <new> style gas can out there? The new ones I get have a trigger switch on the LH side that unlocks and a lever you depress to start fueling. You don't need to press it against the filler opening, if you don't care to.

Actually I fill my Kubota tank with these and find it quite handy. I rest even a full five gallon can against the tank spout while holding the lever down and it becomes almost effortless and I never spill a drop. Filling small containers with gasoline is just as easy, but no need to rest the spout.

On my old tanks the vent cap always broke off and I had to run a big screw in the hole so as not to slosh gasoline or diesel all over my truck bed when hauling them.

I guess from reading this post there must be a next style that requires you to push the nozzle (somehow) against the filler to initiate flow? If so I don't think I'd like that either.

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #6  
All my new ones are the kind with the lock. The lock part seems to break so its always locked, I just remove the lock and it works better.

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #7  
recommend a lawsuit against EPA on that one ... I dont understand the delay. :confused2: Dont lawyers use gas cans?
larry

/ Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts
Thought I would illustrate my fix, the upper spout is shown closed and unmodified, you push the hooked tab down against the fuel tank opening to compress the spring and extend the white end with the O-ring so fuel can flow. The bottom spout is shown with the pop rivet locking it into the "open" position and the tip with the O-ring cut off so you can still install the screw-on "child safety cap" as needed.

Only problem is, the fuel flow through these stupid new spouts is severely restricted and I am glad I still have a half dozen of the older cans with a separate vent.

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    494.8 KB · Views: 395
   / Spill-proof, oops, spill-PRONE spouts #9  
You're right, there is a new <new>.

Never seen one of those down here and I hope I don't. They are still selling the lock/lever style that I can live with.