Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    1026r

Default Diesel fumes

Has anyone ever heard of diesel fumes affecting your health to the point of headaches with small amounts of exposure, how about those with sinus problems getting major sinus attaches from diesel fumes. Thanks.

Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X500

Default Re: Diesel fumes

Diesel exhaust fumes? Those should be avoided. The carbon monoxide can do more than a headache. It can kill you!

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by rekees4300 View Post
    Diesel exhaust fumes? Those should be avoided. The carbon monoxide can do more than a headache. It can kill you!
    I responded to his other thread (same topic). I assumed he wasn't leaving his 1026 running in an enclosed space...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I responded to his other thread (same topic). I assumed he wasn't leaving his 1026 running in an enclosed space...
    I've never actually heard anyone commiting suicide with a diesel...Me thinks it's pretty difficult.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Tractor
    Ford 1200 / Super Dexta x 2

Diesel fumes will make you vomit but wont kill you straight away.

It takes years of breathing in the blue smoke and fumes then your lungs get diseased like mine are and you cant walk very far and life gets very short.
    .Pete

The fumes from diesel exhaust are much more harmful to you than gas fumes, one reason being because of the soot particulates. Even newer tractors that run on ULSD still put out a fair amount of visible soot in the air and on the exhaust pipe. It's only the ones that have particulate filters and/or urea injection that tend to be safer to operate. No diesel engine has completely safe exhaust fumes, but those two things greatly reduce the amount of harmful contaminants in it. Every time you breath in the exhaust it's slowly killing cells in your body, particularly in the lungs. Not trying to sound like some freak here, just stating the facts. Search it on google and you'll find the harmful effects of diesel exhaust. I love my tractor and my trucks, don't even own a gasoline powered car for that matter...but I can't stand the exhaust. I've tried various respirators to wear, mainly because I have horrible pollen allergies that get ignited from pollen and dust. This company called Respro is the best solution I have found for allergies and diesel exhaust. They make neoprene based masks that have various grades of cloth filters that you can install in the masks. I wear a Respro Techno for cutting grass and I never get sinus infections or sick from allergies or exhaust. You really can't put a price on your health.
    2006 JD 3320 PowrReverser w/ 300cx Loader, 61" HD Bucket w/ Toothbar, Horst Fixed Forks, IMatch, Ballast Box, Filled R4's, Vertical Exhaust, Warning Light Brush Guards, Auxiliary Forward Lighting Kit, Rear Work Light, 68" Ratchet Rake, & a Woods PRD7200 Finish Mower
    2004 JD Gator 6x4
    67' Gravely L8
    69' Gravely 432
    75' Gravely 810
    77' Gravely Professional 5460
    81' Gravely 8173-KT
    99' Gravely 20-G
    06' Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 5.9 Cummins

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

typically, a properly operating diesel wont hurt you when operated normally and in an outdoor environment... a diesel that isnt completely burning the fuel and/or white smoking WILL make you sick to your stomach, burn your eyes, and will irritate your respiratory system..
    With that being said, my new service truck has urea injection and absolutely chokes me to death when I am near the exhaust... The control panel for the air compressor and crane/outriggers is in the right rear compartment... right by the exhaust... when its up in PTO mode, it just has such a horrible smell, nothing like diesel burning... more like scorching hot amonia..
    Kubota L4400 GST

I can't stand diesel exhaust. Anything older than 2004-2006ish. Eyes water, throat tightens, nausea, headache. Nasty stuff.

You won't get the CO poisoning from diesel like you will a gas engine. Theres about 10 times less coming out of a diesel. However the other emissions are hard on you particularly the soot.

I will agree that when right next to the tailpipe of the new diesels, the smell is bad but 10 seconds later I still feel fine and can breathe fine. Add to that the fact that you can run it in the shop for 5 minutes and not see any haze and not smell or feel anything really, plus i do not miss the Haze the older diesels left for hours after driving them out.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

diesel fumes isnt that bad . back in the old days, we used to route the exhaust into the cab for heat during the winter. good stuff

Tractor
    John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    diesel fumes isnt that bad . back in the old days, we used to route the exhaust into the cab for heat during the winter. good stuff
    I miss the smell of the sulfer in the old diesel.... it just smelled like it had more power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast