HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank

/ HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank #2  
I am needing to replace a lawnmower tank and I came across this one:
7 Gallon Black Tank 15"L X 8.5"W X 14.25"H (2-1/4" Neck) | U.S. Plastic Corp.

It is HPDE, will it hold up to gasoline?

I've installed miles of HDPE pipe in the last 15yrs. It's very resilient, but it does have one weakness and that is petroleum. Supposedly gasoline will not just eat right through it, but it will degrade the High Density Polyethylene over time. Maybe they have treated the HDPE resin with something to resist the petroleum degradation in this application. They didn't say specifically to be used as a gas tank, but they did say good for oil or hydraulic tank. :confused3:

/ HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank #3  
I've installed miles of HDPE pipe in the last 15yrs. It's very resilient, but it does have one weakness and that is petroleum. Supposedly gasoline will not just eat right through it, but it will degrade the High Density Polyethylene over time. Maybe they have treated the HDPE resin with something to resist the petroleum degradation in this application. They didn't say specifically to be used as a gas tank, but they did say good for oil or hydraulic tank. :confused3:

I dont see why he couldnt use it. Arent gas tanks on cars HDPE???
And gas cans???

/ HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank #4  
I'm with LD1 on this, practically every fuel tank on cars, lawnmowers and tractors is HDPE now not to mention the 1-5 gallon cans for storage of gas and diesel. About the only thing I still see made of metal is the aluminum tanks on the big rig trucks.

/ HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank #5  
Are you sure HDPE tanks are being used on road vehicles? I know that motorcycles use HDPE tanks for off road use and metal for on road, or at least did a few years ago. Either way HDPE for a lawn mower would be fine.

/ HDPE Tank as a gasoline tank #6  
Are you sure HDPE tanks are being used on road vehicles? I know that motorcycles use HDPE tanks for off road use and metal for on road, or at least did a few years ago. Either way HDPE for a lawn mower would be fine.

Yep. Not many cars and trucks use metal tanks anymore. I'd say "most" are plastic:thumbsup: