How old is old for Deisel??

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #1  

kootch88

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra Max 22, JD Stx38, JD Stx46
I bought a 15 gallon barrel today and a hand pump which makes it easier to fuel my tractor since I am a bit short and the fuel tank is up high. My Max 22 sips fuel so the 15 gallons should last a very long time. How long before it gets "old" like modern gasoline?

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #2  
IIRC - it wont get 'old' you just have to worry about algea growing in it.. You can buy ant-algea additives..

Also do you know if it is winterized or not? If not, you may want to add something come fall/winter time.

brian

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #3  
Agreed, as a fuel systems engineer for automotive and small engines I have worked with a lot of different fuels. the problem with diesel is not the evaporation of the light ends like gasoline but that things grow well in it. Then of course is the inevitable cold weather and gelling issue where in northern climates they sell a very different diesel in the colder months than they do in the summer months. You get more energy per gallon in the summer months because it is a thicker blend but you cannot run that stuff in the winter.

/ How old is old for Deisel??
Agreed, as a fuel systems engineer for automotive and small engines I have worked with a lot of different fuels. the problem with diesel is not the evaporation of the light ends like gasoline but that things grow well in it. Then of course is the inevitable cold weather and gelling issue where in northern climates they sell a very different diesel in the colder months than they do in the summer months. You get more energy per gallon in the summer months because it is a thicker blend but you cannot run that stuff in the winter.

I live in Maine and we are having a warm Spring. Do you think we now have the winter or summer blend? Do additives that inhibit algae growth burn less well than non-treated fuels?

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #5  
The fuel refiners do not base their mixes on the current weather as they have to refine it ahead of time and get it through the distribution system but I would think that even in Maine they would be supplying summer fuel by the 1st of April. Obviously the dates vary depending on where you are at in the states.

the additives should not make a noticeable difference in how the fuel burns so i would not get concerned about that. I would not even get concerned about holding winter grades over to summer as you may have a little less power but probably not noticeable for most things. the big concern is going the other direction of having too much fuel on hand in the fall and having it gel in the tractor which means it does not run when you need it and replacing fuel filters along with having the fun of cleaning it out. makes a little bit of fuel very expensive. Again you can hold this over the winter and use it the next summer if you want as the diesel doesn't age.

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #6  
I had fuel in an old Kubota that I didn't start it for 15 years, then one day for laughs and giggles I tried to start it.

Put in a new batter, she chugged, sputtered and started right up. After the group of us stopped laughing because none of us could believe it. I topped off the fluids and I ran here hard for the next 8 hours.

/ How old is old for Deisel?? #7  

I used to work in the aircraft industry and bacteria growing in fuel especially I tropical climates (Florida, etc) was a common problem that has more to do with water contamination of the fuel than with the fuel itself. The bacteria live at the fuel/water interface and "eat" the fuel. The tanks were treated with biocide to minimize this.

It's more of a housekeeping problem, i.e., keeping water out of the fuel. It starts with the supplier providing clean, water free fuel. You can minimize the storage problem but not eliminate it because you can't economically eliminate condensation in tanks and storage containers. I checked my diesel storage tank (55 gallon steel drum with filter) last summmer after about 8 years of use and found about a tablespoon of water in it. I don't consider that a problem.

I treat our diesel with PS White and and a PS product call Clear Fuel or something like that because I bought a used tractor that had contaminated fuel tanks and it WAS a PITA the first winter I used it(water freezing on the filter). We live a a dry summer climate with ~18inches anual rainfall and our humdiity is realtively low. Those of you who live in coastal climates or semi-tropical or tropical climates with high humidities are more prone to have problems with condensation and thus bacteria in the fuel. I don't know if the problem is any worse for ULSD fuels that are about all we can get where I live. (P.S. I don't have any connection with PS; any good fuel treatment can help and if you have a problem with bacteria you can use a straight biocide.)