Oil filter replacement

/ Oil filter replacement #11  
Perfect example of what I was just saying.....

In that wix link gave by the first poster....they list two different filters

A wix 51056 and a 51348

Filters are the EXACT same with the exception that the 51348 is 3/4" taller.

SO...in the case of the OP, if his application calles for a 51056, but has pleanty of room, I'd go for the larger 51348:thumbsup:

And FYI, that 51348 crosses to a fram 3614...same as my saturn and mower. Allthough as I mentioned, I like the XG version

/ Oil filter replacement #12  
Your filter is probly the same as my mower. Its a kohler 15hp. Its the same filter brigs uses, my 1997 saturn and our toyota highlander as well as may toyotas.

/ Oil filter replacement #13  
Fram oil filters cost me a newly rebuilt engine once

How so? I'm just wondering because I read a similar story once, and the author said a Fram ruined his race engine because the filter internals came apart when his oil pump's pressure regulation valve/spring assembly stuck closed.

Once again, not a Fram cheerleader, but I've used lots of them myself without a single failure. Unless someone commenting here, (or elsewhere on the 'net), works at a Jiffy Lube facility, I really doubt if they go through the number of filters we go through. We don't buy Fram "specifically", but we do use them. Several customers that rent our equipment have made comments over the years warning of the Fram failures that will certainly occur, (because that's what they heard), but we're still waiting.

As with many, (most?), "failure analysis" processes done, the suspected, immediate, point-your-finger-at-it "cause" of the problem.....isn't really the cause at all.

That's likely why those "comparison" sites are so successful, get so many hits, and their posted "results" are so often repeated. Someone reads 'em, feels like they're onto some big secret, and wants to spread the word around. It's just easier than doing any real digging. Read the "LeSabreT" one someone else linked to right here in this thread. See any data? Anything look remotely laboratory-like or professional? Any testing apparatus present in the photos or testing methodology detailed?

Nope.

Typical.

And yet it will continue to be linked to and referred to as long as it exists out there in cyberspace....

;)

/ Oil filter replacement #14  
How so? I'm just wondering because I read a similar story once, and the author said a Fram ruined his race engine because the filter internals came apart when his oil pump's pressure regulation valve/spring assembly stuck closed.

The Fram oil filter had came apart internally, thus blocking the flow of oil. This was confirmed by removing and disassembling the engine which had failed, only to find that it had been completely starved of oil because of the oil filter.

The oil filter assembly and oil galleys were also checked, and found to be working perfectly. It was the oil filter, no doubt about it. Final confirmation was obtained after the oil filter was cut open for inspection.

/ Oil filter replacement #15  
Before I purchased my Deere 4210, I owned a 318, and was griping about the high cost of oil filters to a neighbor who owned an Ingersoll (Case) with the same basic Onan engine. He showed me a Fram filter that he claimed was a low cost, direct fit replacement for the Deere filter, but I never tried to use one. And this was back about 1990 when Fram had a much better reputation than they do today. I have not used a Fram filter in ANYTHING for at least 16 years now. IMO they are only in business because most people don't know much about filters, and they think when they are at Wally World "Oh look at all these Fram filters, they MUST be a good one because there are so many on display".

For me, Pure One, K&N, or Wix. PERIOD.

/ Oil filter replacement #16  
I use purolator. Maybe a bit biased because of the internet hype, but i have run them for thousands of miles cause of the ease of them at walmart and the grippy coating. Now a days after reading the fram stories etc, i looked in them and saw the plastic thingy, pressure releif thing and thought the purorlators are metal, ill keep using them.

The crazy think like some have said here is that at walmart the FL1A motorcraft filter is either the same price or like $0.25 more than the PH8a fram filter. I get the motorcraft filter when im there for one. But mostly i get my oil and filters on sale at Advance when they have a sale and i pick up the purolator filter when i get a special deal. I will stock up at one time, and because 2 of my vehicles take the same filer (the 2 most driven ones ) i can use them interchanibly. I do run the Pure One on the TOY, but on the Saturn and ford i will use the regular Purolator filter or use a carquest filter which is rebranded Wix.

/ Oil filter replacement #17  
I have a Cub Cadet LTX1050VT with a 24hp Briggs. Uses B&S filter BS-696854, I am using Motorcraft FL400S. About an inch taller, which is not a problem just sticks out a little more.

/ Oil filter replacement #18  
IMO they are only in business because most people don't know much about filters, and they think when they are at Wally World "Oh look at all these Fram filters, they MUST be a good one because there are so many on display".

Sounds plausible, until you consider that with ALL of those filters stocked and on display....the stores MUST be moving them. And if that many are being sold, there would be horror stories aplenty from consumers if failures were occurring. We wouldn't need to rely on the "information" being circulated by the oil filter "evaluation" websites and all of the hearsay they generate. All we'd have to do is turn on the news or hop on the 'net and hear/read the stories, cases, lawsuits, etc. on a nearly daily basis.

I know a lot about filters. I also know a lot about failure analysis and the value of proper testing procedures. The guys that author the comparison sites are relying strictly on seat-of-the-pants eyeballing. They don't TEST anything. They also admit they don't really "know" anything. Their disclaimers on those sites often go completely unnoticed or ignored by the people that keep recirculating the "information". Why?

It doesn't matter to me what anyone uses....I have no stake in this. It DOES matter to me when "junk science" is treated as if it deserves any credibility....and continues to be recirculated. Vote with your wallet and buy what you want to buy. But DON'T base ANY purchasing decision(s) on incomplete info like those oil filter sites have.

What else do we "eyeball" to evaluate when testing methods and machinery exists to give us accurate, repeatable, and consistent results for us to compare?

Visit an SAE site and see what's actually done to ensure that approved filters meet or exceed the specifications engine manufacturers set forth. Then compare those methods and data obtained to what the "hacksaw and tape measure" guys think is adequate and appropriate....

/ Oil filter replacement #19  
Sounds plausible, until you consider that with ALL of those filters stocked and on display....the stores MUST be moving them. And if that many are being sold, there would be horror stories aplenty from consumers if failures were occurring. We wouldn't need to rely on the "information" being circulated by the oil filter "evaluation" websites and all of the hearsay they generate. All we'd have to do is turn on the news or hop on the 'net and hear/read the stories, cases, lawsuits, etc. on a nearly daily basis.

I know a lot about filters. I also know a lot about failure analysis and the value of proper testing procedures. The guys that author the comparison sites are relying strictly on seat-of-the-pants eyeballing. They don't TEST anything. They also admit they don't really "know" anything. Their disclaimers on those sites often go completely unnoticed or ignored by the people that keep recirculating the "information". Why?

It doesn't matter to me what anyone uses....I have no stake in this. It DOES matter to me when "junk science" is treated as if it deserves any credibility....and continues to be recirculated. Vote with your wallet and buy what you want to buy. But DON'T base ANY purchasing decision(s) on incomplete info like those oil filter sites have.

What else do we "eyeball" to evaluate when testing methods and machinery exists to give us accurate, repeatable, and consistent results for us to compare?

Visit an SAE site and see what's actually done to ensure that approved filters meet or exceed the specifications engine manufacturers set forth. Then compare those methods and data obtained to what the "hacksaw and tape measure" guys think is adequate and appropriate....

Excellent post on your part. As for me, when I observed Fram filters becoming more cheap looking externally I began wondering what they looked like internally and quit buying them. That was long before I even saw my first internet "oil filter comparison". When AC/Delco discontinued the larger filter they formerly had for my GMC 6.0 and substituted the much smaller model, I quit buying them and began using K&N filters.

/ Oil filter replacement #20  

The test site posted was just showing a build comparison not a test site.