Oil filter replacement

/ Oil filter replacement #1  

icunurse42066

Tractor
Cub cadet
Hi, I am new to the forum and I have a question. I own a cub cadet 50" cut with a 23 horse kholer motor. My local cub cadet store went ou of business and I was wondering if anyone knew what size car oil filter would fit my lawn mower? I prefer to use Fram filters. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

/ Oil filter replacement #2  
Try this link.
WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

Once you have a P/N most places can cross ref to other brands. As for Fram filters.... Have you seen the insides of a Fram?

Russell

/ Oil filter replacement #3  
Wix would be a good choice, basic Fram filters, not so much.

But hey, a new Fram would be better than leaving a really old filter in place - the OP and I are just trying to steer you towards some better choices, that are not much more money.

My favourite these days are Purolator, Pure One models. Xref listing below.

Filter Finder

Basic Purolator filters have a good rep too, if you are really counting pennies.

On my motorcycle, I had to do some reading on model specific sites to come up with an appropriate auto filter PN. The CCadet section on here may get you started with some leads, or maybe a Kohler specific site ?

Rgds, Dave.

/ Oil filter replacement #4  
As for Fram filters.... Have you seen the insides of a Fram?

For what it's worth, Fram has more than one line of filters. And, any online "filter comparison" websites you've seen with the "cut-it-open-for-a-peek" evaluations, miss one important detail: Testing.

None of those websites offer up ANY test data, because they don't have any. The SAE on the other hand, tests filters to make sure they meet or exceed the specifications set by engine manufacturers.

Most of those sites also have disclaimers written by the "evaluators" themselves. They start out something like this: "I have no background or experience in this field...."

So no actual testing, and no experienced person involved in the "eyeball" evaluations either. Not a cheerleader for Fram or anything, but those sites have created more hoopla and hearsay than just about anything else mechanically-related that's ever been on the 'net. Everybody's seen 'em or heard about 'em from somebody else....

;)

/ Oil filter replacement #5  
I'm all for controlled accurate testing, believe me when I say that.

Lacking impartial lab tests, long term anecdotal data can be worth paying attention to.

In the past Fram acquired a rep for failing internal parts (ie. end caps), and questionable QC. Either at least some of this data is valid, or there is global conspiracy of Fram haters that have nothing better to do than make up failure/fault stories. This is the internet, so many alternate universes are possible ! (Yeah, I don't believe most of what is out there either :laughing: ).

Personally, I subscribe to the "where there is smoke there is fire" axiom. IF I had a Fram filter on one of my vehicles, AND it failed, THEN I would forever be p/o'd with myself, given all the anecdotes/urban legends/tea leaves I've sifted through re. Fram.

Somewhere, there may be an SAE report on failure rates on oil filters, by manufacturer and vehicle class. Now, that report would be interesting to read.

I am aware that Fram has multiple oil filter lines, that was the reason I said "basic" filter. I do understand how a engine can fail and destroy any filter, and potentially vice versa.

Any manufacturer can produce a problem part.

I had a lot of respect for Fleetguard, until I read an account from a fleet manager of a Fleetguard oil filter failing. Fleetguard not only paid for a replacement engine + labour to re/re, but they also supplied a replacement equivalent or better truck during the downtime.

After that, I had an even higher respect for Fleetguard. Not really surprised though, Penske has always run a class organization. A major corporation going out of their way to do beyond the right thing, when they easily could have just lawyered up - all too rare to see.

I'm not a rabid Fram hater, but given that there are many quality alternatives (even in Canada), I choose to spend my money on other brands.

Given the general level of non-maintenance out there, I was encouraging the person who started the thread to use Fram, as opposed to doing nothing. At the same time, I was encouraging them to do a bit of research into other brands, while also directing them to the Cub Cadet section and researching Kohler directly.

Further reading: BITOG.

2011 FRAM Training Videos - Bob Is The Oil Guy

I'm a metal guy.

Rgds, D.

/ Oil filter replacement #6  
Hi, I am new to the forum and I have a question. I own a cub cadet 50" cut with a 23 horse kholer motor. My local cub cadet store went ou of business and I was wondering if anyone knew what size car oil filter would fit my lawn mower? I prefer to use Fram filters. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Go to your local NAPA store. If they do not have the right one on hand they will get it in a day or two. I get all my filters for my BX25, Craftsman mowers, and Generac generator plus vehicles. Ask for their fleet discount or military discount (if elegible).

Ron

/ Oil filter replacement #7  
I prefer to use Fram filters.

Fram oil filters cost me a newly rebuilt engine once, and after learning about their crappy design and construction, I decided to never use them again, for anything. Personally, I prefer Purolator oil filters and have had zero problems with them.

The following website compares the internal construction of various filter designs, and includes pictures of each. Note how Fram oil filters are the only brand to use cheap cardboard end caps, which says a lot about how well they're made.

LesabreT.com's Oil filter write up..

/ Oil filter replacement #8  
Just thought I would throw in my two cents. Fram has been bought by Champ labs recently. There is currently a switch over to Champ's design. From what I'm seeing, the automotive Fram filters will be Champ filters painted like Fram filters. So those who disliked Fram in the past will be happy. Soon, Fram may exist only in name.

Chuck

/ Oil filter replacement #9  
Always good to know the man behind the curtain.... didn't know the Champ name, but I certainly recognize their brands.

Champion Laboratories Inc.

That acquisition must be recent, Champ does not yet list Fram on their site. Makes sense for Champ, given their existing filter lines.

A buddy of mine uses Mopar in his shop; he's not a guy that would tolerate a shoddy filter offering.

Rgds, D.

/ Oil filter replacement #10  
Oil filter cross referencing is one of my BIGGEST pet pieves. There are SOOOO many filters out there that will ALL work for a single application but have different part #'s.

Things as simple as a filter being 1/10th of an inch longer...or 1/10th of an inch smaller in diameter.

When I get a filter for something, there are only 4 things I worry about.
1. Threads match
2. O-ring the right diameter
3. Drainback valve..yes or no?
4. Relief valve PSI

IF all of these thigns match, I like getting the LARGEST filter I can fit in there.

For example, if you have room, you can use a PH8A filter in place of a PH16. The 8A is the quart sized and the 16 is the pint sized.

As to brands, I like the fram XG filters. I have been running them for the last 10 years or so along with synthetic oil in everything I own. And 10k mile intervals on the autos. And 1/year on the mowers and 4-wheelers.

And I also have figured out that my ZTR with 25HP kohler takes the SAME filter as my Saturn SL....XG3614:thumbsup:

AND....my kawasaki prairie 700 4-wheeler takes the same filter as my wifes 08 nissan sentra....A XG7317:thumbsup: Makes it nice to stock up on oil and filters