Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB

I own a New Holland LB75.B TLB with a 95 hp turbo-charged Iveco engine. The Operator's Manual calls for an engine oil and filter change every 500 hours. The engine holds three gallons of oil and the filter a quart, So that works out to a bit over 3 gallons with filter change.

I purchased the oil, filter, and a brand new 6-gallon drain tub for the job. After greasing all the zerk fittings on the underside of the tractor, I moved to oil change. The engine drain is a big hex-wrench plug about 1-1/4" in diameter. I figured it would be like my Cummins Diesel in my truck with a wide flange and a small opening. As I loosened the plug the last round and removed it, I immediately knew I had made a big error in judgement. The hole is about 1" in diameter and oil came gushing out like a geyser. I realized too late that my engine oil tub's opening was way too small (about 1/2"). There was no way I was gonna catch all that oil. It filled the top of the tub and came spilling out on my cardboard creeper and made a quick path in my direction. I quickly scooted out from under the tractor and only got one arm and one sleeve on my t-shirt partially soaked. Some oil spilled onto the ground, but luckily, most was caught by the cardboard as the gusher quickly came to an end.

I sat there feeling really dumb because I could easily have drained that oil into a 5-gallon container and then transferred it to my oil barrel. Instead, I made a real mess. After getting the oil cleaned up, everything else went normally. I don't know if other engines are like this, but this was the first time I found a drain plug that flowed such a big stream. Wow!
    Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 2305

Default Re: Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB

Yeah, my TN60A's is like that. Huge drain pain for the amount of oil, fairly annoying.

The worse are those who decide to put skid plates / cross members / etc. that the oil has to go over first, before draining out. Doesn't matter how big of a oil catch you have, it still ends up all over!
    ~Fox
    Tractors: JD 2305 w/ MMM & 200CX, NH TN60A w/ 32LA loader, NH Boomer 2420, IH 806 Turbo (Restored, 1964), IH Super C (Restored(1952), MF 240S, Kubota B7500

Attachments... too many!

Equipment - JD 317, CAT 262, CAT 315BL, JD 50ZTS, Cat 301.5, Cat 910, CAT 416C IT w/ EHOE, IH TD7E, IH T6(Restored w/ BE Blade package, 1948 w/ 1952 blade), CAT D4 7U, CAT D4D, CAT D6B, CAT 12f

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Thanks for the reminder, I had this happen before...Sometimes you cannot move fast enough..Now if I have a doubt, i put news paper down first..Especially if the oil is overly hot?? I had bought the new black pan that lays flat and the hole is 6 inches across with the screw off cover on the flat side..There that Hole is surely big enough??? I wanted to catch the plug, so I left the huge plastic screen in the hole as it was designed?? Hot oil managed to hit the overly hot fresh plug on the screen and sprayed the draining oil all over???Soon it changed pattern and i could get back in there?
    Last edited by jonyyuma; 04-26-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: details
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103

My JD 5103 and 4020 are the same. Huge drain holes. Thank god the 5 gallon bucket fits under them.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

I figure it must be the engineer in me. I'm too stubborn to ask beforehand and too dumb to keep my mouth shut about my screw-up afterwards. I can't remember when I felt so helpless as looking at that huge stream of oil coming out and just splashing out of the lid of the oil drain tub.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Did you use the cardboard box you had under the lean-to. How are you going to use if for its original job now.
    Glad I was not there to help you.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

No, but I should have. It will never be used for anything else, no matter what my grandson thinks. All my storage space is FILLED with unused stuff.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

I did the same on my kubota transmission. Then I realized the filler cap was off. After that, I leave the filler cap on and it slows the draining flow down considerably.
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' Modern Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!!, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

I can relate to this in a different way.

Years ago, I was changing oil in my car and was popping the caps and pouring in the oil, and I pulled the dipstick to check on progress and to see how much more I would need.

Didn't see any oil on the dipstick and instantly I realized I had made a mistake and at the same time I looked off the side of the car and saw a large puddle of oil getting larger and larger.

That was the only mistake I ever made. Yea, sure.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

In high school, I worked at a service station with a guy who was a walking accident waiting to happen. My boss told me that I was to do all the oil changes and flat fixing when this guy was there. He could pump gas, add oil, and even wash cars, but he was not allowed near the grease gun, tire machine, or to do oil changes. It seems he had a talent for getting filters cross-threaded. In the beginning, about every other car he put a filter on would leak like a sieve when the engine was started. In those days, many tires still had tubes and he'd pinch a hole in them when he aired up the tire(s). He would also run grease into a zerk until the rubber dust cover popped and grease came running out. The boss let him go after about 3 months and he found another job at a self-service station where you sit in a booth and don't touch the cars. He was pretty good at that.
    Jim

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast