I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ...

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
For years I have been buying offroad in town with my 50 gallon transport tank and I tell you its been alot of trips to town !!!!

So I started calling around to find a supplier. First one said we don't deliver...second one said I'll see if I can get a tank you can buy from us and we'll see if we can help you out....third one said as soon as you get a tank we will deliver. BTW each of them had a 5 cent ser charge to deliver.

So yesterday I called company number 4 ... the furthest away and was told the following ...

We will rent you a 500 gallon tank with a hose, nozzle and filter for $80 a year and we maintain the tank ... you can buy any amount you want over 100 gallons ... when I asked the price of fuel it was $3.54 a gallon ... when I asked the delivery fee ... NONE!!!!!!

So, this afternoon they did just that !!!!

Now if 1850 TBN member would kindly deposit one dollar each into my paypal account I can cover my check !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 101_7753.JPG
    101_7753.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 685
  • 101_7758.JPG
    101_7758.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 741
   / I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #3  
Blue I hope you have a good lock, good watch dog and or Shotgun, because a farmer friend of mine has had a lot of trouble..It is starting to be a lot of money stuck out there in the dark, and some people... well you know some people..are Um..scum.

James K0UA

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ...
You are now in the Upper echelon ....I am still stuck with the 50 gal barrel....no such deal around here....that is great ....

I was concerned also because I have heard that some states have regulations regarding tanks ... a spill area. No such issues here.

I'm keeping my 50 gallon in the truck ... now I can fill the tractors before I leave out ... fill the transport tank and carry 50 gallons to the field (I mean my wife can)

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #5  
They charge for tanks out there?

As long as you buy fuel from my family's company here in Ohio, out side of Youngstown... We supply the tank and equipment for free, and maintain it.

We no longer do 'farm' stand tanks like that... too risky. The hose dry rots, someone hits it, etc... next thing you know, you have 500 gallons of fuel all over the place. We only offer hand pumps, 110v electric pumps, or 12v electric pumps now.

Blue I hope you have a good lock, good watch dog and or Shotgun, because a farmer friend of mine has had a lot of trouble..It is starting to be a lot of money stuck out there in the dark, and some people... well you know some people..are Um..scum.

James K0UA

Thanks James and yes I know some of those type of people ... one of my entances is under chain and lock, the other is a coded gate entry ... I also set it under that tree hoping its hid a little and put a lock on the barrel.

BTW I do have all three of those requirements!!!! EXCEPT the dog ... he acts tuff and then when you pat your leg he melts !!!

They charge for tanks out there?

As long as you buy fuel from my family's company here in Ohio, out side of Youngstown... We supply the tank and equipment for free, and maintain it.

We no longer do 'farm' stand tanks like that... too risky. The hose dry rots, someone hits it, etc... next thing you know, you have 500 gallons of fuel all over the place. We only offer hand pumps, 110v electric pumps, or 12v electric pumps now.

Okay sounds even better ... when can you set me up. I want the 12v pump !!!
Yes they do have a charge here and this appeared to be the best deal ... I agree about the hose dry rotting ... also where the nozzle hangs it's open to weather, so I'm going to use a liter soda bottle to stick it in.

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #8  
Ha, I wish we were big enough to market all the way into Oklahoma. (Beautiful country, was out there around this time last year.) We do about 50 air miles out side of Youngstown ohio, sometimes more depending on the quantity.

All depends on the region really... Youngstown is a very, very poor area as well selling fuel is not our primary business, we do it for a lot of older customers and ourselves really. All that, combined with competition - a 275 gallon ground tank, with a dyke wall works out to $500~ish, then a decent, made in the USA pump, auto shut off nozzle and hose works out to about another $400. Delivery + install, give or take $1000 for the entire set up. If someone keeps buying fuel from us... it will work out in the end. If they don't, we just take it back and give it to someone else. A 520 single wall isn't much more then that. (Same amount of welding, little bit more steel.)

Double wall tanks and/or fireguard - what a lot of cities require, are more expensive and require a commitment to X amount of gallons a year.

A Double wall 500 gallon tank costs about $4000 alone.

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #9  
We bought our first tank directly from one of the fuel suppliers. By buying it we were not limited to dealing only with the one dealer. Then bought a second tank from a friend. Both tanks are 300 gallons each and currently sit next to each other but will be moving one of the tanks to the new farm as soon as we get a secure area there. There is no deliver fee here either from any of the suppliers. There are 4 suppliers locally that I can deal with and the price of their off road can be as much as 30 cents a gallon depending on the day so it pays to call around before committing to buy (well at least it pays for us).

/ I'm tired of diesel 50 gallons at a time ... #10  
We bought our first tank directly from one of the fuel suppliers. By buying it we were not limited to dealing only with the one dealer. Then bought a second tank from a friend. Both tanks are 300 gallons each and currently sit next to each other but will be moving one of the tanks to the new farm as soon as we get a secure area there. There is no deliver fee here either from any of the suppliers. There are 4 suppliers locally that I can deal with and the price of their off road can be as much as 30 cents a gallon depending on the day so it pays to call around before committing to buy (well at least it pays for us).

Great way to do it, really. Probably the best.

It all depends on where they pull from and how they buy really, without getting into the details of it.

A lot of places will pre-buy X amount of gallons from a certain refinery, which gives them a good price as long as the price goes up. However, if the price goes down - you'll see their prices not moving at all.