question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #1  

mark conway

Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC
bush hogging the local private school field next to my house this past week, I had the front bumper fall off and as it did, a corner of it got caught up around this part here knocking it loose stripping a bolt off and causing diesel to pour out everywhere.....I got the fuel turned off, and had to tow the tractor back to the house.....my question is will I have to get the whole fuel system ( I cannot think of what it's called right now), or just the part I knocked loose replaced? I took time off work to mow this place, and have not had the time off to really get into repairing or being able to do anything yet....it will be another 4 days till I get freed up to even look at it.....so I thought I would get your ideas as to where I need to start when I get the time to work on it...thanks....

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 337
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 292
   / question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #2  
:welcome: to TBN.

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the fuel return line. Did it break the bolt off, or did it pull the threads out from the housing? If the body of the injector pump is not damaged, you should be able to buy the return line fitting and bolts. That should fix it. If the injector pump is messed up, I think it will have to be replaced. I really hope that is not the case. They are very expensive.

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #3  
If the bolt is broken off you will need to get the broken part out. If you can do that you are home free. If not or if it pulled it out I suspect your local injector pump shop my need to become your best friend. They may be able to drill and tap to the next bigger size. The problem is what is inside near that hole. Is there room for a bigger bolt. Then he problem of metal filings from drilling and tapping. This is all a job for the pump experts if you cannot get the broken piece out. Good Luck I think you will need it.

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #4  
The outlet flange can be replaced with the pump in place and is not difficult. The banjo style return fitting is obsolete so if the tube and fitting damaged, it will need to be replaced with a different style tube and elbow. I believe the outlet flange style hasn't changed, so if that is the only part damaged, the flange fitting, mount gasket, and two banjo seal washers should get you up & running.
There is a long list of reasons why attempting to overbore the flange fitting is a poor idea that will either not work at all, or be more expensive than a proper fix.

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel
thanks for all the help!.....I got it changed out.....luckily with the broken off bolt in the injector, I was able to get out, and found a screw to match it perfectly .....also it was just the fitting that was bent.....everything else made it ok thru the guard falling off and hitting it.....
now comes the bleeding of the lines.....I hope to get this done within the next week or so....

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #6  
Mark,
After replacing the fitting, loosen the flange nut on one of the injectors. (just pick one that's easy to reach) Crank engine until you get all of the air out of that injector line. (if you can, the easiest way to bleed it is to pull it in high gear - it's quicker and saves your starter) After bleeding that one, tighten the nut and try to start the engine. Usually, it will start on one cylinder and the others will catch up in a few seconds.

Good luck with it.

/ question with part on fuel system of ford 2000 diesel #7  
yep.. ditto on pulling htem.. saves on starter and battery..