inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas?

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I have a 55 gallon drum that is working my nerve on getting diesel out of. Gravity feed is out, I need to be able to pump.

I have an HF Hand pump, it works, but as I am now adding filtration to the mix it is hard to pump, hold the funnel, at the distance from the tractor I need to be.

So anyone have a cheap pump idea? 12 volt is fine, actually better. I was thinking of rigging some sort of auto fuel pump up from a wreck, but I am not sure if high pressure means high volume. I guess by high volume is that my tank holds 10 gallons. I would like to be able to get it filled under 5 minutes or so.

Carl

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #2  
Maybe a boat fuel pump?

Seems the economy has made it hard to move older boats... people are just abandoning them at the local marina where they are being cut-up... a friend was able to pick up one for his boat just for the asking.

The pump I use for fuel for my equipment is a universal fuel pump I bought at a speed shop... cost $35 when I bought it years ago and will do about 2 gallons a minute...

Use it mostly for the mowers.

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #3  
Or maybe a boat bilge pump...which may (should?) be resistant to petro products as well, and would likely have a greater flow rate than a fuel pump (if that's an advantage to you).
BOB

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #4  
I suppose that there is no way for you to put your fuel drum up on a rack high enough for a gravity-flow system to work??
BOB

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #5  
I know you dont want gravity, but it would by FAR be the best IMO.

As to salvaging one out of a car and getting it done in 5 minutes, I dont think that will work. You need some other type of fuel transfer pump before you waste your time on that.

Most car FP's from cars with thirsty V-8's are only ~40-50GPH pumps. Inless you find one with an aftermarket higher flow pump. But that is unlikely and probabally costly.

At 40GPH, it would take you 15 minutes to fill your 10 gallon tank. Those pumps arent designed for volume. First, think about the small line they run:confused2:

And second, if you had a car that only got 5 MPG running 60MPH, that only requires 12GPH.

With your 5 minute requirement, you are needing something that will flow 120GPH, and I dont think there is anything close in typical vehichles. Maybe a tractor-trailer????

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #7  
   / inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #8  
I have a 55 gallon drum that is working my nerve on getting diesel out of. Gravity feed is out, I need to be able to pump.

I have an HF Hand pump, it works, but as I am now adding filtration to the mix it is hard to pump, hold the funnel, at the distance from the tractor I need to be.

So anyone have a cheap pump idea? 12 volt is fine, actually better. I was thinking of rigging some sort of auto fuel pump up from a wreck, but I am not sure if high pressure means high volume. I guess by high volume is that my tank holds 10 gallons. I would like to be able to get it filled under 5 minutes or so.

Carl
I just bought a 12 volt gas pump and filter with 24' of hose with a nozzle for 120 plus shipping on Ebay. Hope to hook it up this evening, but it is better than my HF setup because it is solid in the barrel bung, unlike my HF hand pump.

/ inexpensive electric fuel pump ideas? #9  
I just bought a 12 volt gas pump and filter with 24' of hose with a nozzle for 120 plus shipping on Ebay. Hope to hook it up this evening, but it is better than my HF setup because it is solid in the barrel bung, unlike my HF hand pump.
I prefer my pump mounted to a shelf not the drum .
I set these 2 up this way .