tax free diesel any ideas? tn?

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #1  

agcomike

Silver Member
Tractor
Hinomoto e2004 aka 5020
I've been trying to get non-highway diesel seems i need a farm id # according to co-op and alot of the local petrol dealers how do all these loggers and other non-highway use companys do it? any suggestions in tennessee..

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #2  
I know it's no help for your problem, but here in Washington state there is a sign on the offroad fuel pump that says not for highway use and that's it. I would guess they might say something if you filled your truck up, but nobody cares that I come by and fill up my cans...

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #3  
In Oklahoma, anyone can buy off-road diesel. Now if you put it in your truck and DOT catches you, you'll wish you hadn't.

I can't see why TN would require a farm #. Have you tried buying it at a local station?

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn?
the only station that carries #2 offhighway oil is co-op (which is a farm supply outlet which requires a farm # for tax exemption).. the other stations only sale #2 onhighway or #1 all with the tax included..

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #5  
In my area home heating oil is dyed diesel. I use the same tank and fuel supply for heating oil and my off-road diesel applications. There was an earlier thread that discussed this in detail. Diesel vs heating oil

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #6  
I buy my fuel in bulk from a local distributor. I can specify whether I want on road (no dye) or off road (red dye). The off road is sold to me at no tax, typically about 30 cents per gallon less that on road. I suggest that you call another distributor in your area (look in the yellow pages under fuel). I have a 250 gallon tank made from an old home heating oil tank and they fill that.

Attachments

• 270920-tank.jpg
    270920-tank.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 209
   / tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #7  
hinomotomike,
I don't know where you are in eastern TN, but here in Georgia and in neighboring Alabama, off-road diesel is available at the pump at some of the rural convenience stores. It might be worth making a road trip if you have a large storage tank and are not very far away.
Jeff

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #8  
I would just take a 55 gallon drum to a neighboring town and fill it up, I use one of the white nylon/plastic drums so I can easily see the level, I'm guessing your Hinomoto wont use alot of fuel so you might go with something less than a full barrell so it wont be sitting around for a long time. But it depends on usage and if the Hino. is the only thing that uses this fuel.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #9  
I'm near Knoxville and use the Co-op in Greenback. The first couple of times I went there, they told me the same thing and "grilled" (my word) me on "is it for farm 'food production' uses"

Though we are not raising crops on the "farm" where I live, I told them yes anyway, because indeed it is for offroad use which was their primary concern.

I also told them another time, "dunno... you tell me, I'm using it in my backhoe" The guy says.. "ahh, ok, THAT is construction fuel" (his implication seemed to be a different rate of tax).

Upshot, I've always ended up with the red 'no tax' fuel and now that I've been there several times, they don't even ask.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn?
richard did you have any forms to fill out? they seemed to indicate i'd have to have an farm id? I might check one of the other 2 locations and see on "construction" use.. or maybe home heating oil not sure who all delievers that around here or even has any..

I usualy have been going thru about 5 gal a weekend.. about 30 gallons so far since first of april.. They have a 250 gal fuel tank for $399 and the going rate for diesel is 99c vs $1.35