FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #1  

jonyyuma

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952
Guys how far do you run your syn oil? Some of the answers I get here at work are amusing? Post it for us..and if it is another brand..these oil questions just must continue? JY.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #2  
Mobil1 Syn in my wife's car that burns a bit 8k. I end up replacing over 50% before doing an entire swap.

My other vehicles are once a year, which are about 5-7.5k.

I've seen tests showing it's safe up to 10-13 with a filter replacement.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #3  
10k on Ford F150, using NAPA Gold filters. 200k total miles so far and no issues. The only time I have to add oil is after pulling 18' trailer with full load, and even then it doesn't take much to top it off.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #4  
I change mine out at or around 9,500mi., but put a new filter on every 3,200-3,500 mi.
The only time I have to add oil is the make up oil when I change filters.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn.
My working bud is claiming he can run Mobil 1 for 20k in his Honda Accord??I am sure that my Toyota 4 cyl would go for 10k, but I still have to document for the 100k warranty...so I go for 7.5k and drain it..Still not using even a pint..I am only using one filter per change, it is oem..I have had very good filtration out of others on my older cars? I usually try for 200k, before replacements..

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #6  
Jonyyuma'
I've been using Mobil in my 7.3L for 9 years. I try to catch it right at 13,000. Based on 500 hrs recommended. Going with my average speed and mileage it works out to about 15k including idle times in Northern Wi. I go with 13k to be safe and give me some room for when I remember. However I put Mobil 1 in my Legacy (diesel) and 45 min. later blew main bearings. Just over 200 hrs on the engine. No knocking ticks or strange sound prior. I don't know if oil was bad or not. I've saved remaining new and what I drained right after. There wasn't any metal shavings or bearing break up. The bearing was burnt. Lower rebuild 3.2g. Anyone know a lab that can test this? I don't trust Mobile/Exxon to tell me.
mrkdmars:confused:

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #7  
mrkdmars, was that regular Mobil 1, or Mobil 1 Delvac that you used? Regular Mobil 1 oil is just for gassers, not compression ignition engines. Look at the oil specs in the manual, and the "C" rating.

Johnyuma, I ran Mobil 1 for 20k in a gasser with no apparent adverse effects. But that was not intentional, it just happened. Also, I switched to all synthetic oil after experiencing thermal breakdown of the regular oil in a car back in the '80's. The oil looked like molasses and felt like it had no lubrication left when I drained it. Fortunately the wife said the car wasn't running right, and we caught it in time to prevent any measurable (compression test was ok) engine damage.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #8  
10,000 mile change as per owners manual using Mobil1 Truck and SUV in the VW. 325,000 miles or more on the VW. Used to run Mobil1 in my Toyota. I would change when needed but sometime I would lose track and run it for a year. Cylinders still had cross hatch visible and no visible ridge at 250,000 miles. Shell Rotella T6 in the Dodge and the JD. Every oil analysis showed the oil had good characteristics except for excessive silicone. Two different testing companies. I wonder if their baseline is accurate. I should send in virgin oil once just to get a baseline.

None of my vehicles are running severe service so they get the regular oil change as per owners manual. Well the Toyota did get 10,000 mile oil changes and it never complained. I need to sample the Dodge as it takes 3 gallons. A test is cheaper than an oil change. I have used Blackstone and Polaris for oil analysis.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #9  
In my Dodge Sprinter van (Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel), which is driven over the road, I generally get between 13K to 18K miles per oil change, running Mobil 1 0w40 Synthetic European Car Formula - which is all that has ever been run in the vehicle.

The engine has a sensor that monitors the oil quality and remaining life - and even that seems pretty conservative, based on used oil analysis I've had done.

When I had the bypass filtration set up on the truck, I went over 45K miles before changing the oil - and the oil was in pretty good shape and still had some remaining miles left in it, when I drained it.

/ FMI-How many hours or miles on Mobil 1 Syn. #10  
We don't use Mobil One but do use other brands of Synthetics.

Hard working Ford F-350 Diesel 7,500 miles (pulls trailer about 70% of the time)

Daily driver GM 3500 Dmax 7,500 miles

Daily driver VW Passat Diesel 10,000 miles

Hard working Nissan Titan 5,000 miles (pulls trailer about 70% of the time)

Daily driver BMW 335I 15,000 miles

Boats, tractors, mowers, ect get a change about once a year which works out to about 100/150 hours each.

Chris