Fuel cans

/ Fuel cans #1  

Anonymous Poster

I just got a new Kubota BX2200 this weekend and am new to the tractor game so I have a ton of questions. This one is pretty basic so please excuse...

I went to a hardware store today to by a fuel can. I had heard that I should get a yellow can that indicates it holds diesel fuel. At the store there were 3 plastic containers for fuel each identical in size and shape, save for one was red and marked for gas, one was blue and marked for Kerosene and one was yellow and marked for diesel. The prices for the cans varied wildly even though they looked the same. Red Gas can $5.99, Blue Kerosene can $8.99, yellow diesel can $13.99. I asked the salesman about it and he said that the plastic in each can was different to accommodate the composition of the fuel and the different fuel additives. He said that deisel in a red plastic gas can would eat away the material. Is this for real? If it's this complicated to get a fuel can I can hardly wait to start having to do repairs on my tractor... hopefully not too soon, though.

Thanks for any insight

Bubba_S

/ Fuel cans #2  
That salesman was blowing smoke up your a... I've been using 5 & 6 gal. red plastic gasoline containers for diesel for at least 8 years. If you have to, take a black marker and write diesel on them. Diesel is just oil. As such it's not going to dissolve a plastic container.

I think most tractor fuel tanks are plastic anyway. The only thing special about the yellow container you saw was the color.

/ Fuel cans
What Darren said, although I like the different colors since it helps me avoid stupid mistakes--something I am altogether too good at. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Diesel cans generally go for around a buck more than gas hereabouts. I put it down to supply and demand. There is less demand for yellow, so the cost to manufacture is a little higher.

SnowRidge

/ Fuel cans #4  
Not trying to push wally world but they do have them ,the yellow diesel cans , for $5.86 in my area.

I have one yellow 5 gallon and just took a old 5 gallon gas can i had and wrote diesel in permanent marker.
hadnt ate it up yet!

and yep the diesel is a dollar more than gas cans. i am just gas can poor so i put some of them to other uses like solvents and diesel.
i just write what they are for on them so i don't get mixed up! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Fuel cans #5  
Get the cheapest one and mark or stencil the outside "Diesel Fuel"

A black permanent marker did fine on a 1 gallon container I use for oil/gas mix (2 stroke weed whacker fuel).

/ Fuel cans #6  
TSC diesel can = $6.99
All these people suggest permanent marker on a gas can - drips ate away at the writing on my red "kesosene" can. You know what happens when you put kerosene in a gas engine? NOTHING! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Get a yellow can at TSC or Walmart. The lack of confusion will benefit you. Plus if you ever get gasoline in the can, I am told it can be dangerous.
Mark

/ Fuel cans #7  
It is a safety issue..... the composition of the can has nothing to do with what fuel is in it or what it can hold

Technically, you will note most fuel pumps have a notice that states you should only put fuel in "approved" containers.. most states have laws regarding this.... as noted earlier, Red for gasoline, Blue for Kerosene, Yellow for Diesel.....

It is probably "less" critical to put diesel in a Red can vs. putting gasoline in a yellow can put both are equally an unwise safety issue.... Yes you can write the type of fuel on the side, but color coding takes most chances for mistake out of the picture...

While much more complex and a bit of overkill is the example the NAVY uses for deck personnel on an aircraft carrier. Yellow shirts, green shirts, red shirts etc. etc... Each has a job to do that is critical and the colors ensure everyone knows what each other is responsible for...

Again, you may know what the can has in it, but would someone else know.? .. a relative that comes over and needs some fuel, in case of fire, the emergency responders ??? They are trained to look for certain containers for fuel etc..

Anyway, for an extra buck or two, I use the yellow container for my diesel fuel.... everyone then should know what is in it.

/ Fuel cans
Boy if the cans were green with yellow trim they would be sure to cost a lot more /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fuel cans
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Boy if the cans were green with yellow trim they would be sure to cost a lot more )</font>

ROFLMAO

SnowRidge

/ Fuel cans #10  
Just DO NOT store diesel in steel galvanized cans. The zinc will react with chemicals in the diesel and start breaking down the zinc coating and get in your fuel sytem.