I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #21  
I like the way you think.

The new cans are junk. Whomever is responsible for them (gee, I wonder who that is?) should be horsewhipped.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #22  
The way I understand it, Big Brother only mandated how the cans were to perform, the companies that manufacture them came up with the designs.. Some designs are slightly, and I DO mean slightly, better than others. I despise all the designs... I've spilled exponentially more fuel since their introduction than all the years prior.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #23  
The way I understand it, Big Brother only mandated how the cans were to perform, the companies that manufacture them came up with the designs.. Some designs are slightly, and I DO mean slightly, better than others. I despise all the designs... I've spilled exponentially more fuel since their introduction than all the years prior.

Actually I do not have a problem with spillage, I find the nozzles just cheaply made and prone to breakage.
I guess my Bobcat and its FEL mount was well designed for filling, as I can rest the jug on the upright, and it holds all the weight for me, and all I have to do is hold the trigger while balancing the jug

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did.
Excellent idea! Was it an easy thing to disassemble the new style spout without breaking it? Anything particular to watch out for?

Theo

I just popped it apart by going in the back side with a small flat screw driver and popping the tabs.

Chris

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #25  
I always whittle down a wooden dowel for the spout plug, and secure it with a piece of small rope to a screw eye I screw into the dowel. The other end it tied to the spout. I typically use oak, and never lost em.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #26  
I agree that the new gas cans are awkard to use, and result in more spilled gasoline. Most of them are also not drip proof, and rain water can get into the can unless the spout is tight. A tight spout lets the cans blow up like a balloon in hot weather. The theory of the EPA mandate was, I believe, to reduce evaporative gasoline emissions during storage with the new can designs , by eliminating any vents. Of course, we probably spill more gas with the new designs than ever evaporated with the old designs. Even worse, if your can has a " push on nozzle to pour" design, any pressure buildup in the can will cause gasoline to spurt and spray out of the nozzle, and all over your engine. That's an irresponsible and dangerous design, in my opinion.
On the cans that are unvented, I leave the caps a bit loose, and cover all of the cans with a tarp to keep out rainwater, and protect the plastic cans from sun UV damage. I also recently bought some caps ( eBay, I think) that fit on Blitz built cans in place of the pour nozzle, so you can just use a funnel to pour out gas. Golf Tees make good removable vent plugs.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #27  
Or just poke a hole in the back and pull a tubeless tire stem through the hole , take out the valve stem
and screw the cap on.
Problem solved

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #28  
The valve stem idea works GREAT!:thumbsup:

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did.
duke7595 said:
Or just poke a hole in the back and pull a tubeless tire stem through the hole , take out the valve stem
and screw the cap on.
Problem solved

Did you not read the whole thread? This is what i did and how this thread started on my original post.

Chris

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #30  
Chris, I used to do the valve stem vent & even drilled out the the inside to allow for a faster pour. However 5 - 6 years later, the stems split where they gripped the can. (I had popped out the yellow vent inserts after the caps got lost.)
Just another option. - Since I had several "ARO" / NAPA type "B" male air quick connectors that I no longer use having switched to the Milton type "M". I used yellow gas thread tape & inserted these instead. A 3/8" vacuum cap makes a good seal & as long as you only push it on over the first rib, it can pop off if the pressure really builds up but has a good enough seal I haven't had any fuel weep/slosh out while the cans are bouncing around in trailers.:thumbsup: John