I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did.

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #1  

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
I keep 30 gallons of fuel on hand and I hate the newer cans. Here is my fix. I used standard valve stems with the schrader valve removed. I drilled a 1/2" hole on empty dry fuel cans. Then with a piece of balling wire fish it though the hole drilled from the main hole. Pull it through with a valve stem took and seat it.

For the newer style can with the spring loaded fill neck I disassembled it and used some 5/8" plastic chair leg caps.

Chris

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120629_133911.png
    ForumRunner_20120629_133911.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 2,684
  • ForumRunner_20120629_133922.png
    ForumRunner_20120629_133922.png
    310 KB · Views: 2,581
   / I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #2  
I keep 30 gallons of fuel on hand and I hate the newer cans. Here is my fix. I used standard valve stems with the schrader valve removed. I drilled a 1/2" hole on empty dry fuel cans. Then with a piece of balling wire fish it though the hole drilled from the main hole. Pull it through with a valve stem took and seat it.

For the newer style can with the spring loaded fill neck I disassembled it and used some 5/8" plastic chair leg caps.

Chris

I understand the schrader valve well enough.. but the last part about the 5/8 chair leg caps.. I don't understand at all. Pictures? ( I hear tell they are worth about 1000 words:) )

James K0UA

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #3  
Yep, I think we've all installed the valve stems based on a thread or two on the site... I'm with James, what's up with the caps? Are those the little yellow thingies in the pics? If so, that makes me think of the threads about fishing stuff out of your diesel tank :confused3:

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did.
Look at the second pic. I used the cap to close off the fill neck after I gutted it of all the spring loaded crap.

Chris

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #5  
Look at the second pic. I used the cap to close off the fill neck after I gutted it of all the spring loaded crap.

Chris

Oh I see... I am getting along OK with my lever action Blitz.. (they dont make them any more, now it is a push on the edge of the filler neck to actuate thing). I did remove the safety though.

James K0UA

Here is a pic to help out.

Chris

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120629_145642.png
    ForumRunner_20120629_145642.png
    399 KB · Views: 1,853
   / I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #7  
Here is a pic to help out.

Chris

Yeah that is one of the new ones the stores are full of.. I did not want one of those.. I found an old stock lever action can, in a low volume store, and it works pretty well. Especially if you pull out the safety mechanism. Of course yours probably works pretty good now.

James K0UA

k0ua said:
Yeah that is one of the new ones the stores are full of.. I did not want one of those.. I found an old stock lever action can, in a low volume store, and it works pretty well. Especially if you pull out the safety mechanism. Of course yours probably works pretty good now.

James K0UA

Add a vent like I did with the valve stem and it will work great.

Chris

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #9  
kudos !!! :thumbsup: hopefully the feds will take notice and change the darn mandates on fuel cans.....

/ I hate new fuel cans so here is what I did. #10  
Unless those black plastic chair leg caps are made of HDPE (which I doubt), they likely will not hold up to gasoline well.

DEWFPO