Where can you buy "off-road" diesel?

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #41  
Just curious, what do they call the oil they fill your house tank with, and is it dyed?

Around here, the bill says #2 heating oil (it is dyed) and they put the same stuff in the HHO tank as in the tractor bulk tank.

Aaron Z

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #42  
The Exxon station at exit 120 on I-64 on the south end of Charlottesville, Va has it. I had some wax drop-out problems with the only bit of it I bought.

I put on-road in my 60 gallon diesel generator tank and use for the tractor and for the car if needed.

Ralph

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #43  
Around here, the bill says #2 heating oil (it is dyed) and they put the same stuff in the HHO tank as in the tractor bulk tank.

Aaron Z

There are so many different names for the same products.(prices too) I have worked in the refining industry for nearly 23 years now. Still amazes me what is being sold under what name. I guess the only way to really know is smell the exhaust from a house. If it smells like the airport, its jet fuel. If it smells like a truck stop its diesel. :) Like it really matters.:laughing:

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #44  
The first time I ordered some off road diesel the driver asked if I was commercial, nope just looking to fuel my skid steer and mower. He said that he had both home heating oil and ORD on his truck and if I wasn't commercial he'd sell me the heating oil and put me on a payment plan. My local fuel supplier says that home heating oil is the exact same product, but the heating oil doesn't have any tax. I pay just $50/mo and it's free delivery if I order 100 gallons. Something to ask about.

heating oil is diesel fuel , no 2 oil . You can get low sulfer , ultra low sulfer , or straight # 2 (high sulfer) I drive a oil truck in the winter , the only difference between on road and off road is the dye

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #45  
Just curious, what do they call the oil they fill your house tank with, and is it dyed?
It's called HHO the bill says #2 and it's dyed red. I work in power generation and we get bulk deliveries both from truck and railcar. The drivers fill the trailers from the same tank the HHO guys fill from. When delivered to the plant it's #2 usld with a certificate of analysis that we need for enviromental auditing purposes. We also use the coa to calculate SO2 emmisions.

Matt

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #46  
It's called HHO the bill says #2 and it's dyed red. I work in power generation and we get bulk deliveries both from truck and railcar. The drivers fill the trailers from the same tank the HHO guys fill from. When delivered to the plant it's #2 usld with a certificate of analysis that we need for enviromental auditing purposes. We also use the coa to calculate SO2 emmisions.

Matt

Greatwhite, it sounds like you get Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (you put usld, but I think you meant ulsd) Which for power generation would have more btu's than jet. Like I said earlier we make JET A , JP4, JP8, Heater oil, Kerosene and some others I can't think of right now. Basically all the same cut off the crude tower.
#2 diesel can't be more than 15 PPM sulfur so am I correct in thinking your SO2 emmisions don't change much? If your numbers change or have a wide range it could be jet that they are calling ulsd. Sulfur in Jet A is much higher. But then that even depends on the crude slate the refineries are running where you buy from. It's all good and it all burns.:)

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #47  
Greatwhite, it sounds like you get Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (you put usld, but I think you meant ulsd) Which for power generation would have more btu's than jet. Like I said earlier we make JET A , JP4, JP8, Heater oil, Kerosene and some others I can't think of right now. Basically all the same cut off the crude tower.
#2 diesel can't be more than 15 PPM sulfur so am I correct in thinking your SO2 emmisions don't change much? If your numbers change or have a wide range it could be jet that they are calling ulsd. Sulfur in Jet A is much higher. But then that even depends on the crude slate the refineries are running where you buy from. It's all good and it all burns.:)

Yes I meant to type ulsd(finger tip dyslexia). Exhaust emmision need to be quanitfied, that can either be done with an SO2 analyzer or calculated. Since most gas turbines are dual fuel capable with gas being the perfered fuel choice for a lot of reasons. #2 really only becomes viable when pipline constriction occurs generally during the winter months. And even then alot of title V air permits dictate a max run hours on #2. The Gross Caloritic Value (GCV) of the fuel gets entered into emmisions software that will get reported quarterly to the EPA. The GCV does fluctuate a small amount from load to load as the tank gets filled and then into the plant tank.

The loads also will get individually sampled and stored incase the EPA or state isn't satisfied by the COA. They can then have it tested impartially to validate the sulfer content and prove the math for emmissions.

Matt

/ Where can you buy "off-road" diesel? #48  
I get my oil tank for my house and my tank for my tractor filled by the same truck at the same time. well, to be honest, they fill the house first then fill the tank at the garage. I just did my service work on my tractor and replaced the fuel filter - looked good. I always put power service in my tractor tank at each fill, mainly because a guy on this site who worked in the oil industry recommended it due to lubricity issues with ulsd. My tractor is about 7-8 years old and I have never run "on road" diesel in it. Have several hundred hours on the tractor. I just bought a Woods zero turn with a kubota diesel engine in it, and I fill it from the same tank.

I know in some states the legislatures found a way to squeeze the working man a little more with this tax on fuel. I won't pay. I asked a couple of people who said if you run your tractor down the road with the slow moving vehicle sign on it, no one will check your fuel (to see if it is dyed).. Can't tell you what the law says, but I know plenty of police officers who all say the same thing - I don't have time to check on that stuff.